Author Topic: Saddleworth - Where and What is it?  (Read 12806 times)

Offline karen58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Saddleworth - Where and What is it?
« on: Tuesday 13 January 15 04:19 GMT (UK) »

Saddleworth Historical Society describes Saddleworth as 'in the township of Quick'. However, other sites state Quick was the Medieval name for Saddleworth - so this is confusing me. Then it continues to describe it as a parish.

It then states that it is 2 miles from Dobcross - but I thought Dobcoss was in Saddleworth.

On another page of the Saddleworth Historical Society, Saddleworth is described as 'Historically, a Township' and 'a Chapelry within the parish of Rochdale'.

The FamilySearch website describes Saddleworth cum Quick, as 'a parochial chapelry in the parish of Rochdale'

Is there a significant difference between Chapelries and parochial chapelries?

I though a chapelry was a chapel of ease connected to the mother church which saved people traveling to the mother church to go to Sunday service.

I thought a parochial chapelry was able to perform marriages. Is this true? I assumed this because of all the marriages performed at Saddleworth St Chad's.

I am getting more confused as the FamilySearch sebsite states that Saddleworth St Chad's  is 'just across the Yorkshire/Lancashire border (in Lancashire)'. But I thought that Saddleworth St Chad's was in Uppermill which appears to be in Yorkshire to me.

I have a baptism record for 1741 sourced from Ancestry.com. It is a Bishops Transcription of Baptisms, Burials and Marriages in Saddleworth from 1740 to 1749. Ancestry.com has recorded the Parish as 'Saddleworth, Lancashire, England'.

But isn't Saddleworth in Yorkshire?

I would be very grateful if someone could clarify these points.

Regards
Karen
Platts & Scholefields; Saddleworth
Winterbottoms; Saddleworth and Huddersfield
Pitchforths; Halifax and Huddersfield

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Saddleworth - Where and What is it?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 09:10 GMT (UK) »
As I understand it, "Saddleworth is an area and parish, comprising the villages of Delph, Diggle, Dobcross, Denshaw, Greenfield and Uppermill" (from the entry for Saddleworth Museum).

Also have a look at GENUKI - Yorkshire - where there is a section devoted to Saddleworth.

The area used to be in the West Riding of Yorkshire, but with boundary changes in the 20th century it was moved to Lancashire  :o :o
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Saddleworth these days is part of Rochdale.

GenUKI says:

"SADDLEWORTH, in the township of Quick, and parish of Rochdale, (Lanc.) Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 2 miles from Dobcross, 9 from Rochdale, (Lanc.) 12 from Huddersfield and Manchester, (Lanc.) The Church is a perpetual curacy, in the deanry of Pontefract, value, p.r. !£108. Patron, the Vicar of Rochdale."

"QUICK, in the parish of Rochdale, (Lanc.) Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Pontefract; 3½ miles SSW. of Dobcross, 9 miles from Rochdale, (Lanc.) 11 from Manchester, (ditto) 15 from Huddersfield. Pop. 13,902."

See: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Rochdale/SaddleworthHistory.html
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 09:56 GMT (UK) »
If you go to http://is.gd/4ScFCn and put Saddleworth in the search box you will get a map showing the boundaries of the parish c1851. Clicking on 'Map' shows the present county boundaries, and 'Ordnance Survey' the original county boundaries.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karen58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Dear Stan

Thank you so much for the link to the map. The various overlays make it all so clear. Wish I had it 12 months ago when I first started researching.

Saddleworth is certainly in Yorkshire so I am still confused why the baptism record is Saddleworth Lancashire.

Do you know if it is because the record is a Bishops Transcription and held in Lancashire?

Thank you again
Karen
Platts & Scholefields; Saddleworth
Winterbottoms; Saddleworth and Huddersfield
Pitchforths; Halifax and Huddersfield

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 22:26 GMT (UK) »
We have to separate the town of Saddleworth from the parish of Saddleworth! ;D
Separate the civil from the ecclesiastical. ;D ::)

The town was historically in the West Riding of Yorkshire until 1972 when it became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham, in the Metropolitan County of Greater Manchester.

Sadleworth as a chapelry and parish has always been linked with the parish of Rochdale; which is in Lancashire.

So, I suspect that parish and church records are recorded as being in Lancashire?!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Although the Historic Parish of Rochdale was mainly in Lancashire, the township of Saddleworth with Quick was in Rochdale Parish, but in Yorkshire. The History Data Service produce an electronic map of the Boundaries of the Historic Parishes before 1850, which I have, but I am not allowed to attach a map showing the boundaries on RootsChat.

Stan

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 23:43 GMT (UK) »
We have to separate the town of Saddleworth from the parish of Saddleworth! ;D
Separate the civil from the ecclesiastical. ;D ::)

The town was historically in the West Riding of Yorkshire until 1972 when it became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham, in the Metropolitan County of Greater Manchester.

Sadleworth as a chapelry and parish has always been linked with the parish of Rochdale; which is in Lancashire.

So, I suspect that parish and church records are recorded as being in Lancashire?!

Glad you changed the info in reply #2. Saddleworth is not 'in Rochdale these days'. It is part of Oldham Metropolitan Borough.

Nor is it a town.   ;) The historical records and descriptions are very confusing though, that's true.

It has some lovely scenery - green hills and valleys and also wild moorland and bog.

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 03:00 GMT (UK) »
According to this site it's in Yorkshire

http://whiterose.saddleworth.net/stillpart.htm

And some different opinions....  http://oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news-headlines/12193/yorkshire-day-draws-3500

The Saddleworth Parish Council website - displaying the white rose and saying county of York..... http://www.saddleworthparishcouncil.org.uk/