Author Topic: Saddleworth - Where and What is it?  (Read 12866 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Saddleworth - Where and What is it?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 22 October 17 16:50 BST (UK) »
As new kids on the block Huddersfield town totally shattered Manchester United's glass reputation with a --- 1 ozs sledge hammer ;D ;D ;D in the Premier league yesterday ~ there could be all out War of the Roses in Oldham (Saddleworth) with them sign posts.

:D

Even Leeds United fans were shouting Huddersfield in Leeds centre yesterday evening and that's a first !!.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 23 October 17 06:58 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify, especially for our American visitor:
1. The "War of the Roses" was not a war about where boundaries should be between Lancashire and Yorkshire. It was a dynastic dispute about ruling England, a.k.a. "The Cousins' War". Supporters of the House of Lancaster v. supporters of House of York. 
2. The World Black Pudding Throwing Championship, held annually in Ramsbottom in Lancashire (not in Greater Manchester which is an administrative entity) does not commemorate the Wars of the Roses when the respective armies of Lancashire and Yorkshire, having run out of arrows and other ammunition, hurled black puddings and Yorkshire puddings at each other across the county border. That would have required another army (of women, no doubt) to cook aforesaid weapons.  ;D Thought I would mention this event in case anyone is thinking of writing a treatise on it. It's already in a book of ancient customs.  ???  ::) ;D
Cowban

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 23 October 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
Dear Sir/Madam, thanks for sharing with me that info, appreciate,but my concern isn't about local history or geography.My inquiry or better say subject is solely about - the local style of wrestling and if you have any info on the "folk style" wrestling which was practiced in West Riding Yorkshire please let me know I would highly appreciate that. Have a wonderful day. Kind regards, Ruslan

Offline Tra La La

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 23 October 17 15:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I cannot help you with your wrestling research, other than to say that long term Huddersfield resident Douglas Clark (from Maryport originally) was a champion Cumberland Wrestler in addition to being a top Rugby League player.
Good luck with your research.
Tra La La

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 23 October 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
Well we have the 'Wellie wanging' world championship later an informal Compo chucking competition  in Holmfirth ( Holmfirth was in Almondbury parish along with Saddleworth) a suppose as type of wrestling. thar noo'as ;D

A lot of people don't know where 'Quick village' actually is:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Quick,+Greenfield,+Ashton-under-Lyne+OL5+9BN/@53.5297998,-2.0343769,15.45z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487bc86ca94573bf:0x3ba567bbfb64a6bd!8m2!3d53.530401!4d-2.031835
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 23 October 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Appreciate, and yeah Doug Clark was Great Cumberland Style Champion and later All-in Champion Wrestler of England !!!

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 23 October 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
Found a little bit on wrestling Lanc's but only a place

In 1863, Martin and his wife took over the Royal Oak pub and, in the 20 acres of land around it, created an enclosed running track, horse trotting course and wrestling arena.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/how-failsworth-became-the-athletics-capital-862146

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 23 October 17 17:07 BST (UK) »
Yeah Royal Oaks was one of the centers of the local championship wrestling. Other centers were arenas at Audenshaw, Higginshaw, Newton Heath, Salford etc. Thanks for sharing, appreciate.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 23 October 17 18:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I cannot help you with your wrestling research, other than to say that long term Huddersfield resident Douglas Clark (from Maryport originally) was a champion Cumberland Wrestler in addition to being a top Rugby League player.
Good luck with your research.
Tra La La

Cumberland Wrestling was the competition style that used to be held at the Annual Fair I took my children to which was held at Stonefold, Haslingden in the Rossendale Valley, Lancashire.   
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke