Author Topic: Saddleworth - Where and What is it?  (Read 12860 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Saddleworth - Where and What is it?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Rochdale parish is that part of Lancashire, of the ancient county of York, (in the [ Derbyshire} high peaks Moors) of the 1974 boundaries of metropolitan councils of Rochdale, Calderdale, Oldham, Kirklees and Tameside

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Maps/WRYParishes.gif

Dates back to the Roses War of the houses of York and Lancaster

http://whiterose.saddleworth.net/stillpart.htm

(In short basic terms the West side of the moors are now run by to Lancashire, [ except Derbyshire Glossop area West side of the moor] & Cheshire and the East side of the moors are run by North / West / South Yorkshire & Derbyshire)

1850 map border undefined

http://maps.nls.uk/view/102345136
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Great map, Dobby  :)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Gets very confusing when you see Greater Manchester on the side of buses in Huddersfield and Halifax on the side buses in Burnley and Rochdale end even worse Huddersfield buses in Manchester and Oldham

Greater County of the pink rose of the house of 'Quick' (Quickshire)
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 January 15 02:48 GMT (UK) »

Offline Tra La La

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 February 15 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Saddleworth is still in Yorkshire.  The area is administered by Oldham Council, 53 percent of the area is in Yorkshire and 47 percent is in Lancashire.  For clarity the Council have in the last five years added the White Rose of Yorkshire to all the Saddleworth District signs, plus there is one on the A62 at the Standedge Cutting and one as you leave the M62 and head towards Saddleworth and Oldham.  There are those who confuse the Counties with administrative areas.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 February 15 04:29 GMT (UK) »
In that case we'll do a swap with Lancashire, they can have Saddleworth and we'll have Oldham town and we might get a tram service direct to Oldham through the unused Standedged tunnels then. Oldham have the best market and shopping centre.  ;D ;D ;D ;D or better still make Kirklees council (Nobody knows where it is anyway) administered Oldham  :)

Offline libby9

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 February 15 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Dobby, noooooooooooo

Saddleworth is a lovely YORKSHIRE town, and we MUST keep it in Yorks!  :)

Must say I rue the day Huddersfield lost it's council to become Kirklees.  Hudds was Hudds when I was a gal, never heard of Kirklees in the good old days. 

And swap with Lancs, never!  I'm a proud Yorkshire lass, the biggest and best county in the whole of England  ;)  Well, apart from Cornwall, Devon, Norfolk and others that is  ;D

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 February 15 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Ok! Libby! If we have 53% of Oldham already, we'll sharpen the old spears, do a midnight raid and nick the other 47% off Lancashire.  ;D (They do the best Muffin chip butties there in Oldham)  :D

Kirklees Hall is at Cooper-bridge M62 Junction and was the big estate with the Ramsden/Armitage/Kaye & Beaumont families at Whitley Hall and Woodsome Hall that between them controlled most of Huddersfield and Dewsbury in days of old-Hence its name. Kirklees (Time of the Roses wars)

Offline karen58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 February 15 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dobfarm

I am not even from Saddleworth but I hope Saddleworth always remains in Yorkshire. My 2n & 3rd Great Grandfathers were born there and I am very proud of that.

Cheers Karen
Vicariously a Yorkshire Lass
Platts & Scholefields; Saddleworth
Winterbottoms; Saddleworth and Huddersfield
Pitchforths; Halifax and Huddersfield