Author Topic: Saddleworth - Where and What is it?  (Read 12808 times)

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Saddleworth - Where and What is it?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Rena,
thanks so much for your reply appreciate that a lot !!!
Cumberland Wrestling at Haslingden thats a big surprise to me...I need to find their programs and ads, which decade was that? How long ago? Do you have any pics of it??? That style was known as Border Style or Northern Counties Style, classy back hold first down to lose. I had no clue it was practiced in Bacup areas...I thought that Rochdale and surrouding towns had their own wrestling style catch-as-catch-can...also known as Lancashire wrestling, I wonder which style was historically practiced in West Riding...thanks again, great information !!! Kind regards, Ruslan

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Rena,
thanks so much for your reply appreciate that a lot !!!
Cumberland Wrestling at Haslingden thats a big surprise to me...I need to find their programs and ads, which decade was that? How long ago? Do you have any pics of it??? That style was known as Border Style or Northern Counties Style, classy back hold first down to lose. I had no clue it was practiced in Bacup areas...I thought that Rochdale and surrouding towns had their own wrestling style catch-as-catch-can...also known as Lancashire wrestling, I wonder which style was historically practiced in West Riding...thanks again, great information !!! Kind regards, Ruslan

I've lost a few grey cells I'm afraid, so can't give definitive answers.  I probably saw advertising posters stuck to lampposts, etc.

I've looked on Google maps to see if I can jog my memory of which farm land the fairs/fetes were held on hoping to see the uphill path we climbed to get to the field but I've drawn a blank.

A shopping precinct opened up a few decades ago which has expanded quite a lot.  The fair/fete was accessed from where the car park is now.  Look at google map for "Winfields, Acre, Rossendale", which is on the A680 near Haslingden.  A few farms are shown behind Winfields.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 03:22 BST (UK) »
Rena,
thanks so much again appreciate.
its interesting that they called it "cumberland wrestling" because traditional cumberland/westmorland style which is backhold first down to lose isnt practiced in south lancashire which rochdale towns belong to...i mean all those places from rossendale as well, for many centuries they had their own style...i would call it a south lancashire wrestling, it was different from cumberland, since they didnt have an initial hold...like cumberland wrestlers do...it basically was impromptu style and yeah wrestling on the ground and the holds of opponents legs were allowed...2 of 3 falls.I wonder what kind of Cumberland wrestling was practiced in Haslingden???

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 11:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry - not an expert in Cumberland wrestling.  The only thing I recall is the referee announcing the rules (unfortunately I can't recall them) and wrestlers dressed in white.  The main thing I do remember is their first hold and that the men faced each other then each man wrapped his arms around the opponent's body and firmly clasped hands with hooked fingers. 
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 13:38 BST (UK) »
brilliant thats perfect description of Cumberland wrestling, they have whats called the initial hold...which is a back-hold the way you described it, do you remember if wrestling on the ground was allowed, or they were standing wrestling only...its interesting that at Rossendale local fair they had a Northern Counties style,I am surprised...

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 13:39 BST (UK) »
when was it??? 60s? 70s??

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 16:10 BST (UK) »
when was it??? 60s? 70s??

1970s-1980s. I think from 1990 I was probably ferrying offspring to athletic clubs.

Sorry again - can't recall if there was any groundwork.

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 16:13 BST (UK) »
thanks appreciate