Author Topic: Drury family Wedderburn Ballarat Australia  (Read 14873 times)

Offline Tony Anderson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Drury family Wedderburn Ballarat Australia
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 05:39 BST (UK) »
That's fine, if you want to contact me direct I am (*)

T

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline TrevB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 10 September 16 10:35 BST (UK) »
Here are some of their children's deaths:
Elizabeth Louisa (b. 1854, Ballarat, reg 2315), d. 1935 aged 81, Moonee Ponds, as GOODLAND, reg 3954
Mary Jane d. 1935 aged 78, Bendigo, as BIRD, reg 12323
Eliza Helen d. 1860 aged 5 months, Gle, reg 12242
William Charles d. 1927 aged 66,  S Lake, reg 12311
Emily Annie d. 1890 aged 26, MtKorong, reg 13110 [unmarried]
Albert Edward d. 1957 aged 90, Leongatha, reg 18100
John Alfred d. 1945 aged 76, Inglewood, reg 18712
Miriam Alberta d. 1893 aged 22, Mt Korong, reg 15479 [unmarried]
Alice Gertrude, d. 1926 aged 55, Maryboro, as BRITTEN, reg 14592
Edwin Thos d. 1934 aged 57, Brighton Beach, reg 9329

:)

N.B. Elizabeth Louisa's birth reg shows her mother's mn as BOYLE but her death as GOODLAND shows parents as Henry DRURY and Annie BOLWELL so I have no doubt she was their eldest child. Elizabeth and Eliza were thought of as completely different names so not unusal to have both amongst siblings!

Just discovered this site - spent most of my 60 years wondering who these Drury's were in my grandmother's old box of snapshots,

Elizabeth Louisa GOODLAND (nee Drury) is my great-grandmother.  Her daughter Alice Emily married Francis Brown of Arnold West - they were my grandparents.  Alice died in 1952, Frank in 1949 and they are buried in Wodonga Cemetery.  A cousin of mine found their unmarked graves last year; a new marble headstone now gives their resting place some added prestige.

Elizabeth Louisa married Charles Goodland, they lived in Prahran in later life.  I only discovered all this in the past couple of years.  One of my grandmothers photos is of Charles John Bird, late of Wychitella who was killed in action in France in 1917.  I found on the Australian War Memorial website he was her cousin.

I intend to take my box of old photos with me to Wedderburn and do some snooping later in the month.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 10 September 16 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi TrvB,
Well,
What a wonderful place R'chat is ;D
You have made a great step here in your family connections.
I hope you will let us know if we can help your search further. Lots of resources here which are not necessarily available online.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 11 September 16 06:55 BST (UK) »
Great to see a family connection made, and what a wealth of information is on this thread - back to the 1790s.

I'm sure you would have seen the digitised WW1 record for Charles John BIRD; accessible from natinal Archives site
http://www.naa.gov.au/

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TrevB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 11 September 16 12:02 BST (UK) »
Great to see a family connection made, and what a wealth of information is on this thread - back to the 1790s.

I'm sure you would have seen the digitised WW1 record for Charles John BIRD; accessible from natinal Archives site
http://www.naa.gov.au/

Judith

Yep, downloaded all of that.  The handwritten accounts from the Red Cross of soldiers that witnesses Charles Bird's death are chilling.  He died on the first day of the Battle of Bullecourt and his body was never found.  There are also letters from his parents to the AIF seeking return of his personal belongings, of which there were none!

The University of NSW Anzacs website shows Frederick William Goodland as a cousin of Charles Bird.    That's my Great Uncle Fred that I heard referenced to by my Dad and his sister every now and then when I was little.  He was awarded a DCM and fronted up for WWII before taking ill and dying at home in 1942.  I going to try and locate his grave at Sandy Creek Upper in the Kiewa Valley. 

It is amazing how such little information can give you so much information!

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 00:02 BST (UK) »
 Trooper William Alfred DRURY
  Berriwillock, Victoria
his father,  W C Drury, Berriwillock, Victoria

4th Light Horse Regiment, 10th Reinforcement He left on the  HMAT A70 Ballarat on 9 September 1915
He returned to Australia 31 July 1918

his brother was:

1311 Pte Dougls Frederick DRURY, 39th Bn, who returned to Australia, 3 May 1919.

so some strong links to WW1