Author Topic: sproat family history  (Read 5793 times)

Offline janjan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
sproat family history
« on: Monday 04 July 05 11:35 BST (UK) »
does anyone have any info about the sproat family who moved to newcastle areas after 1910(or later) im looking for info about john married ruth? three dayghters ruth,margary,and elsie.also george had one daughter,also lowingham sproat who worked on the railway,any help with this would be great,

Offline Gippy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: sproat family history
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 13:18 BST (UK) »
I have an interest in Sproats of Northumberland, especially from the Netherwitton, Morpeth area. Whilst Lowingham Sproat is not connected to my family I have some info which may be of use to you.
Lowingham Sproat was the 5th son of Robert and Mary Sproat born about 1896 at Cleator Moor Cumbria. he was married to Jess Wood abt 1922.  He had one daughter Margaret Ann.

Kelly's Directory of Newcastle 1950 shows :- Sproat L. district supt. British Railways (NER) Central Station Neville St. Newcastle 1.
 Also lists Sproat, Lowingham  4 Fenwick Ter. 2 Jesmond 219.
Lowingham died about 1975

His daughter ( who supplied me with this information) died 16th July 2002. Her death notice was in the "Evening Chronicle" 20th July. It was also listed in the London Gazette 6 Dec 2002.

Hope this will be of some help to you
Fred

Offline janjan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 August 05 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred,
    this is great,thank you so much for replying to my post,can i ask if margaret sproat give you any other info about lowinghams brothers?it seems that the five brothers mostly had female children so its hard to trace relatives,iv been told there is a son called robert belonging to one of them but i dont know which one,can i also ask did you meet margaret?if so what was she like? she didnt marry so did she have any children out of marrage?
thank you so much again its great to get bits of info to build the bigger picture,
      thanks janice

Offline Brian & Berni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 December 06 11:41 GMT (UK) »
My wife was a Sproat her father is Alan and his father was Thomas I think we have not gone down this line yet
Her father was from Backworth this is all I know
Thompson, Jones, Robinson, Jackson, Reed, Edington, Watson, Chisholm, Murrey, Hall, Boggin-Northumberland.<br />Crass, Johnson, Watson-Durham<br />Bigley-Kent<br />Edington-Scotland<br />Jennings-Ireland

Offline baileyl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 December 06 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Miss Sproat lived in Stocksfield on Painshawfield Road until the mid 1970s - I think that was the family house. It was a 1930's house - the decor was all green & cream - the NER colours.  She loved gardens & had 'The Hawthorns' landscaped by a Hexam firm.  My family bought the house from her & we lived in it for far too short a time.

She certainly didn't have any children  - she was a proper lady!  She had some sort of educational role as she appeared to know most of the Headmistresses in Newcastle (including mine). She certainly came over as a Headmistress from what I remember from 1975.

Offline janjan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 December 06 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bailey,
    thanks for the info,i will visit there when the weather gets better !! i wonder how hard it would be to get a photo of margaret sproat??if she worked for the education office there would be photos somewhere !!
           thanks again
                     janice ;) ;)

Offline chill lady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 21:05 GMT (UK) »
hi there ..i am also a sproat and live on the island of mull in the west coast of scotland..my family came from stranraer in the borders...william my great grandfather came to tobermory  at the age of 24 ...he bacame procurator fiscal and lawyer th the
 duke of argyll...georgina

Offline Beowulf53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 November 10 00:39 GMT (UK) »
My maternal grandmother was Susannah Mavin, nee Sproat, her brother was John Sproat both from Morpeth, (I was born in Stannington) to my knowledge there were no other siblings.  I understand John Sproat joined the Northumberland Fusiliers at the onset of WW1 he was somehow attached to the Field Ambulance Corps. and I believe he was "Killed in Action" during the battle of the Somme in July of 1916.  There is a famous film clip of an unknown soldier carrying a wounded man through the trenches, I have always thought that soldier looked a lot like my older brother, I now have a photo (included) of my Great Uncle John Sproat in the uniform of the RNF and think he may be as good a candidate for this unknown soldier as any I've seen.

Offline Deborah Campbell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 May 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
My nephew is researching our family tree and I'm trying to help him. My grandfather was John (known as Jack) Sproat married to Ruth. I am just wondering how far you got? I know that they had three girls, Marjorie was my mother. I am also trying to find my Cousin, Margaret, Ruth's daughter. Last I heard she was living in Braemar. Many thanks