Author Topic: Rev Gerald Dalton Debenham, St Stephen, Buckland  (Read 7126 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Gerald Dalton Debenham, St Stephen, Buckland
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 18 January 15 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Wendy and Ray for the added information, and everybody who has contributed.

Dorothy Hilda was indeed Gerald's daughter but I have been unable to find much evidence of her apart from census, birth and death records. I believe she died in St Austell, Cornwall, so I may have a try on that counties forum.
Cheers to all, from a rather cold and damp Suffolk.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline oscardaphers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 18 January 15 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Good morning hookleg,
I have been looking into Dorothy Hilda Debenham and have found in the British phone books on An***** entrys for D H Debenham living at Rookery Newquay between between 1929 and 1931 then 1932 to 1938 at Rookery Nook Trenance Gardens, Newquay (possibly the same place?)
As for the death registration Newquay became part of the St Austell reg district in 1936.
Hope this is useful to you.

Kind regards
Wendy
Garnett, Gatty- London
Bulbeck, Garnett- Portsmouth, Hampshire
Small, Rowe, Pearce- Hants/Wilts
Buckett- Isle Of Wight
Newland- Portsmouth, East Meon, Hayling Island, Hants
Savell/Saville/Saveal- Essex
Roberts- Rutland, London

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 19 January 15 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Wendy, I had seen the phone book entry about Trenance Gardens and believe it is the home of a registered child minder. I had followed links to New Zealand where a Dorothy Hilda Debenham had been registered, but have now discounted them. Very interesting about the registration district, I had looked at a map and seen that St Austell was in the south of Cornwall and Newquay was in the north and was puzzled about that. I had thought that the registration would have been in Newquay, but of course it was probably quite a small place back then. Thanks to you, it now makes sense.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.

Offline Keith Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 30 March 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
A little late, but some further info about St. Stephen's Church. I'm not clear at present about when it became a separate parish outside the Portsea umbrella, but I have temporary access to copies of the St Stephen's parish magazines from 1908 to 1913. It is clear from these that by 1908 St Stephen's was a full parish in it's own right, with the nearby St Alban's as a mission hall.  I am attaching the front page of the January 1908 magazine for interest.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 30 March 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith and may I welcome you to Rootschat. I'm sure you will find it a great site to use for any family research sticking points.
Thanks for the info about the church. Do you know if there is any similar info about the 1903 period?

Offline Keith Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 30 March 18 13:19 BST (UK) »
Sorry - I'm in the dark on that earlier period. I was the organiser for the research project "20 Streets in Portsmouth" about the men on the St Wilfrid's War Memorials, and while adding material to that in the hope of producing a further DVD in due course, I am currently working on the many Portsea parish clergy who served as Chaplains to the Forces during WW1. As a spin off I am having to learn a lot about the Portsea Parish and am working through some items that have not yet made it to the archives.
Hopefully some will end up in the Portsmouth History Centre, while other material will be added when I get to producing the second DVD.

I'm not sure what is in the Portsmouth History Centre for St Stephen's. I went through their full index for the Portsea Parish last year, but I think St S is catalogues separately so was not in my particular sphere of interest.

Offline Keith Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 31 March 18 10:27 BST (UK) »
I'm in the Portsmouth History Centre for a short session this morning. They have 4 St Stephen's parish magazines from 1904, a full run of 1905 and 5 of 10 for 1906. and a number of items from the 1930's. That appears to be all.

Keith

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 02 April 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
For information, St Stephen was originally a mission church to St Mark, North End, which itself was established in 1874.  St Stephen's records begin in 1902.  It became a separate parish in 1926 and closed in 1961.

Portsmouth History Centre has the Baptism Register 1902-1961, Marriage Register 1906-1961 and the Banns Register 1941-1958.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 22:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Keith and Nell.