Author Topic: William LeRoy Baptism Heversham,Westmorland P.R Look up request  (Read 3196 times)

Offline incah1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
William LeRoy Baptism Heversham,Westmorland P.R Look up request
« on: Wednesday 14 January 15 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
      Would it be possible for someone to have a look at the parish records for Heversham, Westmorland for:

William LeRoy baptised 21st January 1770    father John LeRoy   

I'd like to know the fathers occupation if possible. 

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Best Wishes
Kate

Vale - Essex & Hertfordshire    Hammond- Essex
Learoyd - Huddersfield
Henderson - Belfast,Liverpool
Lilley - Yorkshire
Bell - Essex
Turpie - Middlesex

Offline Miriam-Kate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William LeRoy Baptism Heversham,Westmorland P.R Look up request
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 January 15 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate,
           I have tried to look at the original record on Ancestry, but unfortunately it is an index record only. I telephoned Ancestry a few weeks ago and said I really needed to see the original record as I needed to know the father's occupation (to determine if this is our ancestor or not). Ancestry staff inform me that for that period of time in that area the father's occupation and address are not given, which is so annoying for us!
Just now on ancestry I found a baptism for an older sibling an Elizabeth Le Roy daughter of           John Le Roy, baptised 18th October 1767 in Heversham, Westmoreland. Again this was an index record only. I could not find any other siblings in the same parish or a marriage for John in the parish. (John's marriage would probably provide his occupation- if only we could find it!).
I have just sent you two emails about the possibility of William Learoyd being William Le Roy. Kath found an old Huguenot baptism in Norfolk for someone by the name of Learoyd- NOT Le Roy but Learoyd! I also found a family tree on Ancestry for Le Roys who were mistaken for Learoyds. It seems that at least some of the Learoyds were originally Le Roys.
Is Westmoreland now part of Lancashire or a different county? I live in Australia so what would I know. The Huguenot Library at the University College of London has files for both the names        Le Roy and Learoyd. However at what point in time the Le Roys became Learoyds, I have no idea. Perhaps it was just a matter of misspelling that occurred over time. Let me know what you think of the ideas in my emails. -Miriam-Kate.
Learoyd Yorkshire
O'Neill  Co Clare, Tipperary, Cork
MacNamara Co Clare
O'Connell 
Arahill
Doyle
Ronald  Ayreshire
Bottomley Yorkshire
Boyd
Holroyd Yorkshire
Bruce
Gardener