Author Topic: Honour Prideaux / Esdras Giddy  (Read 10584 times)

Offline Rosegold89

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Honour Prideaux / Esdras Giddy
« on: Wednesday 14 January 15 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I'm looking for evidence of a marriage between Honour (or Honor) Prideaux (b. circa 1649 In Cornwall (supposedly) to Edmund Prideaux b. 1606 at Soldon Manor, Devon and Bridgett Moyle) And Esdras Giddy (b. circa 1640).

I can't find sources for either of their births/baptisms but over 100 family trees on ancestry.co.uk list her as daughter of Edmund and Bridgett and many list cite her marriage To Esdras Giddy with other trees on the website as their source.

There is however evidence of a marriage between an Honour Prideaux and James Berdow in London 1699 which some people have listed as her second marriage.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Honour Prideaux / Esdras Giddy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 January 15 23:31 GMT (UK) »
an Esdras Giddy who died in 1697 left a will. You can get copy of it from the Cornwall Record Office, it's ref AP/G/1106 Will of Esdras Giddy, clothier, of Liskeard 1697. The burial record refers to him as Esdras Giddy, senior. There are 3 baptisms to Esdras Giddy & his wife Honour in Liskeard between 1669 & 1674 the first being another Esdras.

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/community-and-living/records-archives-and-cornish-studies/enquiry-and-copy-services/

The Honour Prideaux marrying in 1699 could be a different person as if it was a second marriage, she would be likely to marry as Honour Giddy.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Rosegold89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 January 15 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help! This Esdras Giddy did have a son of the same name but his father was also supposed to be Esdras Giddy (1602-1646). Perhaps senior just refers to the fact he had a living son? Another thing is that Honour is said to have died before him so would there be any reference to her name in the will?

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 January 15 10:30 GMT (UK) »
you'd mentioned a second marriage so I hadn't checked for a burial. She was buried 27 Dec 1692, noted in register as wife of Esdras. So definitely no second marriage. The senior does imply that he had a son called Esdras. but given that one Esdras married in 1635, he probably died before 1697. There are gaps in the Liskeard register.

You won't know what the will contains unless you get a copy. It has an inventory which could provide interesting info on his belongings.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline archmageirvine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 February 15 02:54 GMT (UK) »
I too would really like to know the answer to your question, since Esdras is one of my ancestors. I have asked several people with such a link in there tree, but no one has been able to provide any concrete evidence.

"The Yeoman Pioneer: The Story of George and Sally Giddy and Their Family" by Joyce GIDDY published New Zealand circa 1985 (of which I have a copy) shows Esdras GIDDY m. Honour ?. But no surname for Honour is given.  I suspect it was based on the Liskeard records already mentioned.

There is also "Prideaux: A West Country Clan" by R.M. Prideaux which might possibly offer some clue, but I have not seen a copy and it looks very expensive to buy.

Cheers,
Sean.

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 February 15 00:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm in the same boat here with Esdras and Honour/Honor.

I tried the Prideaux line but came to the conclusion that it wasn't that likely as this Honour seems to be related to the Prideauxs of Prideaux Palace in Padstow!

I've tried quite a few sources from the Cornwall OPC to Family Search and various other websites over the years but to no avail (yet, I won't be beaten!).

The only thing I haven't tried is sitting down for a day at the records office and trawling through every recod around the possible time of their marriage between 1655 and 1665.

I'll drop you a line if I ever find an answer.

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline Rosegold89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 March 15 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Something that I have since found out is that Honour's brother was educated at Liskeard Grammar School so the family must have at least been linked with the town http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humphrey_Prideaux

Offline archmageirvine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 March 15 07:19 GMT (UK) »
Good find. The letters mentioned in the Wikipedia article can be accessed here:

http://archive.org/stream/lettersofhumphre00camduoft/lettersofhumphre00camduoft_djvu.txt

but I can see no further clue in them.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 March 15 14:54 GMT (UK) »
the will of Bridgett Prideaux of Padstow is available online. She made her will 1 April 1690 & it was proved 3 Feb 1699. She left property to her son Humphrey, grandson Edmond eldest son of her son John, grandson Thomas eldest son of her son Humphrey, her daughter Admonition married name Pollex???, her daughter Anne married name Coffin, her daughter Bridgett married name Bickford, her grandsons Roger & John sons of John, her granddaughters Bridgett & Honor daughters of Anne. The executors were her son Edmond and daughter Honor whose surname in 1690 was Prideaux. By the time of the probate in 1699 Honor's surname is Bardow, so the marriage to James would look to be correct but not a second marriage, her first one.

Admonition was baptised in St Germans 25 Aug 1639, daughter of Edmond & Bridget-extracted record attached
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JWFX-851

Edmond Prideaux married Bridget Moyle 24 May 1638 in St Germans
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N2JL-JZV

Other baptisms to the family may not have survived because of the disruption caused by the Civil War.

The will of Honor's brother Edmund was proved 11 Oct 1706, he was a merchant in London