Author Topic: Walcot Estate 1840-1877  (Read 1913 times)

Offline BirdyBond

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walcot Estate 1840-1877
« on: Thursday 15 January 15 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi  - I am new to RootsChat.com and have been recommended to post my query here on the Shropshire forum. So hi!
I am after some information on Walcot Estate and employees if possible. I believe my great great great grandfather George Bond (b.@1807 (Chelsea) was a Gardner at Walcot Estate @1841-1877. Interested in finding out what the estate was and who owned and his life on this estate and I guess to confirm if he did actually work there! I do have some information on his personal life ie: wife/children etc but not his parents. Thanks in advance from Australia.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walcot Estate 1840-1877
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 January 15 10:39 GMT (UK) »
The 1851, 1861 and 1871 censuses (taken as samples) do have George Bond as the gardener at Walcot (in 1861 listed as head).  The 1861 lists the members of the Powis family living there at the time, headed by the 3rd Earl of Powis with his mother, widow of the 2nd Earl and a host of others!  The family were descendants of Clive of India.  http://www.britainexpress.com/attractions.htm?attraction=3789e gives a bit of background.
Glad to help if you need any more but Wikipedia is quite good on the Herberts.
Rghds

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 January 15 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Here's a bit more.

George and wife Mary Ann were at Walcot in 1841 but neither of their 2 children at the time were born in Shropshire.  The eldest, Julia, was baptised in St Annes Kew in 1833 as was Emily in 1835 which suggest that they arrived in Shropshire some time 1835-1841.  Perhaps George learned his trade at Kew (although before it became a national botanic garden (1840).
George was still gardening at Walcot in 1871 and 1881 and in 1891 was living on the estate in Clematis Cottage after he retired.  Mary Ann died in 1875, he in 1892.
No sign of parents so far.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline BirdyBond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 January 15 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Many thank maxD!
This is confirming some information I had but also having better dates helps build a case.
As a new member to these forums I am very grateful for your help and also learning a lot about this research. My 80 year old father is loving these snippets of information I am piecing together with your help. I have googled the Estate and gleaned some visuals of what it would have been like also. Fingers crossed for more history. Best

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 January 15 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Delighted to help.  I've sent you a PM.
maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk