Author Topic: 'Sewn in' for winter ??  (Read 49126 times)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: 'Sewn in' for winter ??
« Reply #117 on: Sunday 08 October 17 18:49 BST (UK) »
With regards to the armour and bathroom problem, in some accounts I've read, if they needed to go they just went in the armour! After all, you can't call a halt in the middle of a battle so that people can use the toilet.

Which reminds me of the one about Nelson at Trafalgar, well known for wearing a red jacket so that any bloodstains were less obvious, asked his cabin-boy to fetch the brown trousers ....
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Monday 09 October 17 00:56 BST (UK) »
With regards to the armour and bathroom problem, in some accounts I've read, if they needed to go they just went in the armour! After all, you can't call a halt in the middle of a battle so that people can use the toilet.

Which reminds me of the one about Nelson at Trafalgar, well known for wearing a red jacket so that any bloodstains were less obvious, asked his cabin-boy to fetch the brown trousers ....

You're incorrigible Andrew  ;D ;D ;D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Monday 09 October 17 14:26 BST (UK) »
I just remembered a slightly shocking family story... When I got my grandfather's military records it said in his features box that he had a scar one inch above his navel. Mum told me that when he was a baby my great grandmother was adjusting some of his clothing but decided to do it while it was still on him (I assume to make sure it was done the right size) but accidentally sewed the clothes to the baby...

Offline alice1234

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Monday 01 January 18 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Just out of interest, how would one even go about sewing up a child for Winter, in say his pyjamas. Presumably you would have to do it while the clothes are on them but how do you sew then?? Surely once the needle is through the clothes near the body there's no way of getting it out again? And wouldn't the needle poke the child?

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 00:02 GMT (UK) »
I guess you would take the stitches from the outside of the clothing -presumably you would need to be careful you don't stick the needle in, but this should be easy enough if you pull the material away from the body when you put the stitch in. I imagine that the sewing would be tacking or an overstitch of some sort and easy enough to unpick when required.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 00:14 GMT (UK) »
I’d forgotten all about this thread. Although the custom did go on,  I think we decided that some of the earlier posts were a bit of a wind up!  ;D ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 12:22 GMT (UK) »
I’d forgotten all about this thread. Although the custom did go on,  I think we decided that some of the earlier posts were a bit of a wind up!  ;D ;D

Yes, new member 1l2e joined specifically to contribute to this thread, have a laugh and tell a few porkies, never to return.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 15:07 GMT (UK) »
I wish I could sew mine in!! In fact I'd pay anyone to sew the" little angel" up!!
.(long school holidays here ::))
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 16:48 GMT (UK) »
One of my elderly male neighbours in the 1940s-1950s wore one piece long johns.  They had buttons all the way from the neck down to the legs and which had a flap at the lower end of the back which was held up by a button in two corners.   In those days buttons on underclothes were made from a type of rubber.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke