Author Topic: 'Sewn in' for winter ??  (Read 49385 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Sewn in' for winter ??
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 15:06 BST (UK) »

Also in recent times, a first hand account of an adolescent boy growing so much during his first year at high school, his dad bought next size up in both shirt and shorts at the beginning of each term ( 4 terms) ... just saying  :)

We weren't smeared in goosefat (probably too expensive to buy) but we were coated in Vick to keep us warm.

With the exception of shoes, I can associate with the larger sized school uniform and also all other clothing bought by our parents, which was also chosen for us "to grow into".   Additionally last year's summer sandals were made to fit by father cutting off part of the leather uppers so that our toes were exposed - I think these days they'd be compared to the style known as "Jesus sandals".
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Thursday 14 September 17 14:25 BST (UK) »

Also in recent times, a first hand account of an adolescent boy growing so much during his first year at high school, his dad bought next size up in both shirt and shorts at the beginning of each term ( 4 terms) ... just saying  :)

That's normal  ;D This is coming from a mum(me) who buys bigger for her poor hard done by son ::), uniforms are *expensive, and children grow so fast(*especially private school uniforms, which my son is in) My 11yr old is wearing a 16yr old blazer lol ( I have tacked the arm sleeves up inside, and will let them down when his arms grow - our school blazers cost 250.00, I'm not buying one of those every year!) . I always buy big when it comes to expensive items(whether it's uniform , or casual wear).
Kind regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Thursday 14 September 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
It's a long time since I bought a school blazer but 250.00? I've never even spent that much on a coat for myself!!
I knew a lady who used to catch the early bus with me sometimes.(6.15am.) One snowy day she was making a curious rustling sound, she had goose grease and brown paper inside her clothes! This was 1968, I dread to think what the smell was like later in the day.
I wore liberty bodices with rubber buttons as a child but I was never "sewn-in" in the 1950's even though we weren't very "well off".
rayard.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Thursday 14 September 17 14:56 BST (UK) »
It's a long time since I bought a school blazer but 250.00? I've never even spent that much on a coat for myself!!
I knew a lady who used to catch the early bus with me sometimes.(6.15am.) One snowy day she was making a curious rustling sound, she had goose grease and brown paper inside her clothes! This was 1968, I dread to think what the smell was like later in the day.
I wore liberty bodices with rubber buttons as a child but I was never "sewn-in" in the 1950's even though we weren't very "well off".
rayard.
The uniform at private schools are a killer. I don't want to add up the costs. The blazer is just for show. It is compulsory to wear them to and fro school ( and compulsory at weekly assemblies and school trips). When they enter the school grounds they can take them off. Don't get me started on the hat! ( formal hat, which also costs nearly as much as the blazer, and like the blazer for show, no use - total waste of money)
They also have a formal uniform (formal shirt,  formal trousers and tie . Summer months, are formal shorts, shirt and tie. Then there is the  sports uniform).

I buy big  ( for instance his sports uniform has lasted 2 years  , his shirts and trousers last a year)
Kind regards

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Thursday 14 September 17 15:01 BST (UK) »

rayard.

I think, but could be wrong, that Cell lives in Australia, so we're talking Australian Dollars.  Still a lot of money around £150.00

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Thursday 14 September 17 15:07 BST (UK) »

rayard.

I think, but could be wrong, that Cell lives in Australia, so we're talking Australian Dollars.  Still a lot of money around £150.00

Yes , you are correct Australian dollars ;D
Kind Regards

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Thursday 14 September 17 16:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I thought it was a lot to pay!

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Thursday 14 September 17 16:10 BST (UK) »
"The blazer is just for show."

Are you sure the whole school isn't "just for show?"  Lots of people do just fine in public schools.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Thursday 14 September 17 18:26 BST (UK) »
The blazer is just for show. It is compulsory to wear them to and fro school ( and compulsory at weekly assemblies and school trips

Most of our secondary schools now have blazers as part of their uniform and the children wear them all the time unless they are given permission to take them off. It certainly does make a difference in the appearance of the children going to school - for a start it is easy to identify the school the school they attend!

Public schools in the UK are selective, fee-paying independent schools, as are private schools.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk