Author Topic: Robertson and Hay connections - Cruden early 1800s.  (Read 2303 times)

Offline elddis33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robertson and Hay connections - Cruden early 1800s.
« on: Thursday 15 January 15 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Ancestors William Hay and Sarah Robertson married in Cruden Nov 1806, had a son William born Oct 1807. A Sarah Robertson married William Davidson in Cruden Nov 1812, is this Sarah the widow of William Hay ?
Going by the names given to the family of William (b. 1807) there does appear to be a connection.
Any clarification of the  family background for William Hay and Sarah Robertson welcomed.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robertson and Hay connections - Cruden early 1800s.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 January 15 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat.  :)

I saw your post a while ago but was hoping someone with something useful to tell you would reply. I don't have an answer to your question but I do have Hay and Robertson links to Cruden, with Aberdeenshire Davidsons thrown in for good measure.

Other names include Daniel, Alexander and Craighead.

If any of these are familiar, give me a shout and we can see if we have any family connections. :)

In the meantime, I hope someone comes along with a specific answer to your question.

Regards,

Jen :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 January 15 22:33 GMT (UK) »
It's possible it's the same Sarah, whose first husband died. However, Hay, Robertson and Davidson are all common names in that part of Scotland, and first names were chosen from only a small number of first names in comparison to today. So it's just as possible that the marriage of Sarah Robertson was for a different Sarah. Unfortunately the majority of death records for that period have not survived, and the only way you can be more certain is to know when William Hay died.

William Davidson and Sarah Robertson are in the 1841 census at Hay Farm, Cruden - she age 50 and he age 70. By 1851 she'd been widowed, and is in the census as Sarah Davidson age 65 at South Hay Farm. Would be worth looking for a death certificate for her on ScotlandsPeople as she may have survived until after death certs were introduced in 1855. If she was married twice, her death certificate is likely to say so.

As it happens, one of ggg aunts Isabella Fraser married George Wallace in 1858, and he was the farmer at South Hay Farm in Cruden parish. I also have quite a few Davidsons from the Longside area on my family tree.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline elddis33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 January 15 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  Thanks for the responses.

Firstly, the only Cruden surnames to which I am connected, as far as I know, are Hay & Robertson.
Jen, I would be interested to learn of your contacts with the above surnames.

Secondly, I should have thought of looking on scotlandspeople for a death cert from 1855 for Sarah Robertson. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm fairly certain that Sarah was married twice. Her son William (b. 1807 ) named his first daughter Sarah Davidson Hay in 1832.

Regards, Jim.