Author Topic: LAVENHAM Baptism look up please - POULSON  (Read 4642 times)

Offline dejay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LAVENHAM Baptism look up please - POULSON
« on: Thursday 15 January 15 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please confirm baptisms 1830s - 1850s for children of John & Ann Poulson. They were married in Lavenham in 1835, and their eldest daughter (Mary Ann) appears in F Search - 9 Feb 1836 - but no further baptisms recorded.
Census of 1851 lists a number of children and all in Lavenham .... assume they should have been christened there?

many thanks :)
Artis (Norfolk / Suffolk / Cambridge / London)
Noller and Staff (Suffolk)
Cantwell and Driscoll (London and Ireland)
Harding (Littlehapton & Bethnal Green)

Offline scotty151

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: LAVENHAM Baptism look up please - POULSON
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 February 15 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Lavenham christenings -
7 Feb 1836, Mary Ann Poulson, dau John & Ann (late Marshall).
28 Jan 1838, Harriet Ann Poulson, dau John & Ann (late Marshall).
14 May 1843, Benjamin Poulson son John & Ann (late Marshall).
18 May 1845, Ann Maria Poulson dau John & Ann (late Marshall).
19 May 1850, Emma Maria Poulson dau John & Ann (late Marshall).
These are the only ones I can find.
There is also a burial of Benjamin Poulson aged 6 months on 31 Oct 1843.
Regards, Kevin
NBL & DUR - SCOTT, Newcastle (Byker),Ancroft,Eglingham. NEWTON, Newcastle, Gateshead.
SIMM, REED, DAWSON, HALL, KENNEDY, BARKESS, WILSON, ARKLE, SHEPHERD, THOMAS.
Ross (Scotland) - BISSET, McDONALD, FERGUSON, FLETCHER
Suffolk - MILLER (Eyke, Bromeswell), Lloyd (Burstall), GANT (Elmsett), BARBER (Eyke), LEEKS (Elmsett), DANIELS, HOLDER, DURRANT, MEADOWS, PERCY, ATTERTON, LING, SKINNER, OXX, MALLOWS, CLARKE, WOOLNOUGH, POTTER, COLEMAN
Bucks - BLAND (Stoke Goldington), FRIDAY, DARBY

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 February 15 13:09 GMT (UK) »
There was also a Marshall John bp.30/8/1840.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotty151

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 February 15 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Marshall John Poulson was christened in Preston St. Mary, so I was not sure (despite his name) that he was from the same family.
NBL & DUR - SCOTT, Newcastle (Byker),Ancroft,Eglingham. NEWTON, Newcastle, Gateshead.
Suffolk - MILLER (Eyke, Bromeswell), Lloyd (Burstall), GANT (Elmsett), BARBER (Eyke), LEEKS (Elmsett), DANIELS, HOLDER, DURRANT, MEADOWS, PERCY, ATTERTON, LING, SKINNER, OXX, MALLOWS, CLARKE, WOOLNOUGH, POTTER, COLEMAN

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 February 15 19:00 GMT (UK) »
As John and Ann appear in Preston St Mary on the 1841 Census, it looks likely to be the same couple, they have Mary and Harriet with them.  Marshall John is indexed on ancestry as Marchel Poulston in 1841 and is probably the "Michael" with them in 1851 and as John on the 1861 Census down in London.

Most, if not all, of the Poulsons in that area descend from a John and Elizabeth Poulson who were in Lavenham in the early to mid 1600s.  The names Groom and Clopton run through the family, probably because it looks like Elizabeth's maiden name was Groom.  They were a somewhat prolific family in Lavenham, Preston and the surrounding parishes.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline dejay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for this information - very useful - glad you could track them down for me. Was also useful to see where they were in 1841, I hadn't been able to find them!
Cheers  :)
Artis (Norfolk / Suffolk / Cambridge / London)
Noller and Staff (Suffolk)
Cantwell and Driscoll (London and Ireland)
Harding (Littlehapton & Bethnal Green)

Offline orinoco98

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 11:38 BST (UK) »
Quite interested in this thread as I have Poulsons in Liverpool and also have other ancestors in Norfolk Suffolk areas but no Poulsons that I know of. Still wonder if these Poulsons do in fact link up somewhere with the Liverpool ones.
Also I do have a Harry Poulson c1864 in my notes I have him born or bap Cosford Suffolk Preston? Maybe I wasn't sure of his birth place. Harry married Ada E Hunt c1869
I believe they had a son Robert C Poulson c1900 who married Lily Ambrose
I do know someone with my Cann lines has these Poulsons in her tree too.
Have not been able to view her tree though.
Just in case I have confused you all my birth name was Cann and my family were from Norfolk mainly but ended up for me in North East England as did some of the Poulson descendants but those Poulsons were from Liverpool. So you see i would love to see any links.
Just to say I thought it was Preston Lancashire but there is obviously a Preston in Suffolk gets confusing when you have same names in similar sounding places.
I do have children of Robert C Poulson and Lilly Ambrose as their children are on freebmd.
I have connected to Grace Poulson their daughter c1920 They are born Cosford district Suffolk
I see this is not far from Bury St Edmunds which is where a Bridge family member is said to come from in my tree. That family members daughter married my Great Uncle Fred Cann.
Grace Poulson married Kenneth Boreham in my tree and he was born I think in Bury St Edmunds.
Just followed Kenneth back in my tree and they do connect to my Bridge's
Cann ,McDonald/McDonnell ,Musgrove,Dobson

Offline scotty151

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 21:34 BST (UK) »
Harry Poulson, son of William & Caroline (nee Long) was born in Preston St. Mary Suffolk on 25 Aug 1867 and christened in the parish church on 31 May 1868.
He married Ada Elizabeth Hunt in Preston St. Mary parish church on 22 Oct 1887.
Harry Poulson - Age 20, bachelor, labourer of Preston. Father - William Poulson, labourer (deceased). Ada Elizabeth Hunt - Age 20, spinster of Preston. Father - Elijah Hunt, labourer. The witnesses were William J. Poulson & Harriet Lottie Baldwin.

By the time of the 1911 census they had thirteen children (one deceased) and were living at Church Cottage Preston St. Mary.
The son that you mention - Robert Clarence Poulson was born 6 Aug 1900 in Preston St. Mary. He died in Lavenham, Suffolk on 4 April 1981

Harry Poulson died 3 Feb 1950 in West Suffolk Hospital, Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk and was buried at Preston St. Mary on 9 Feb 1950.
Ada Elizabeth died the following year on 24 Jan 1951.

The family are very distantly connected to me through my LEEKS ancestors from Preston St. Mary.

Hope this helps!
Kevin

Offline orinoco98

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 22:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kevin its great to hear this extra info and you never know what it could lead to. I do believe in branching out as I do think a family tree is a great big puzzle with a lot of pieces missing. I just need to find the missing pieces.
Thanks again for replying  :)
Cann ,McDonald/McDonnell ,Musgrove,Dobson