Author Topic: ? Bismouth ?, Leicestershire  (Read 8562 times)

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
? Bismouth ?, Leicestershire
« on: Thursday 15 January 15 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Is there a Bismouth in Leicestershire or something similar to that? 

Ann Hill's death certificate listed she was born in Bismouth, Leicestershire, and her father was Thomas Hill.  A lovely lady has a copy of the certificate, but can't locate it at the moment. 

Ann Hill was born about November 1801.  According to the 1851 census she was born in Kirkby, Leicestershire.  She married John Wills in 1824 in Birmingham.  On the 1841 & 1851 census they lived in Edgbaston, Warwickshire.   Their children were: Sarah, John, John, Joseph, Elizabeth, Thomas, Samuel, William, and Felicia/Phelis.  All the children except Sarah were baptized in St. Philip, Birmingham. 

Most of the family immigrated to the United States in 1851.  Sarah the oldest child was born calculated 1823.  I have only seen Sarah listed on the 1851 ship list.  On familysearch.org there was a Sarah Wills, baptized, 28 Dec 1823, in Kirkby Mallory, parents John Wills & Ann.  If this is her, it would been about 2 months before her parents got married (unless the transcript date was wrong). 
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
Re: ? Bismouth ?, Leicestershire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 January 15 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ancestorsnoop

I don't recognise a village by that name but there are two Leicestershire villages with the name Bosworth in them and I suspect that either could be the place you seek. The more likely one is Market Bosworth (of Battle of Bosworth fame) which is close to Kirkby Mallory. The other one is Husbands Bosworth near the Northamptonshire border. My wife had a relative who lived in the nearest village to the second one and I recently discovered the report of an inquest he was involved in where he talked about going to 'Bosworth'. I went to school in the other village and although not from there I recall that we sometimes shortened the name to Bosworth when talking about it.

Tony

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 January 15 22:14 GMT (UK) »
...but on the other hand Family Search shows no-one born in Market Bosworth of that name but there is an Ann Hill born in North Kilworth and baptised on 7 Jan 1798 to Thomas and Mary Hill. North Kilworth is the next village to Husbands Bosworth.

Tony

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 January 15 22:18 GMT (UK) »
...but on the other hand Family Search shows no-one born in Market Bosworth of that name but there is an Ann Hill born in North Kilworth and baptised on 7 Jan 1798 to Thomas and Mary Hill. North Kilworth is the next village to Husbands Bosworth.

Tony

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 January 15 22:28 GMT (UK) »

Kirby Bellars, Kirby Fields, Kirby Muxloe, Kirkby Mallory

Market Bosworth, Husbands Bosworth
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 January 15 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Tony and iluleah for the possible places to look for Ann Hill's birth/baptism.
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 January 15 23:47 GMT (UK) »
www.freereg.org.uk

There are a few Ann Hills baptised in Leicestershire, in Packington(North West Leicestershire), Enderby, Oadby, Market Harboro( South Leic Northamptonshire-Leicestershire border) and Melton ( Melton is possibly on the wrong side of Leicester for your Hills.. NE Leic)

Leicestershire/Warwickshire are separated by the A5 road, so you are more likely looking S or N West Leicestershire

Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 January 15 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you iluleah for all the information and tips (and reminding me to look at freereg).  I was really hoping the census record, the death record, or something had the exact place she was born.  I was also hoping somehow the Sarah Wills baptized 28 Dec 1823, in Kirkby Mallory with parents John Wills & Ann, was their daughter, but how can she be if she was baptized before they were married and she is listed as Wills instead of Hill?

How can one sort all the Ann Hills out and figure out which is the right one?

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 January 15 00:39 GMT (UK) »

How can one sort all the Ann Hills out and figure out which is the right one?

When you find out the trick, let me know ;D

It might also be worth looking at the individual village pages, some do have history and family history documents http://www.leicestershirevillages.com/marketbosworth/