Author Topic: Okay: Kincardine But Isn't Kincardine???  (Read 5284 times)

Offline DaughteredOut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Okay: Kincardine But Isn't Kincardine???
« on: Thursday 15 January 15 21:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm a McGowan in the States.  I may have my tree back to 1600's, but I'm finding the geography just a wee bit confusing.  I see a Kincardine, a Kincardine-by-Doune, and on and on.  The McG who emigrated, c.1750ish?, appears to be a James McGowan.  I'm not new to genealogy, but geo-politico, timelines, and Scotland are new to me.  I grew up thinking we were Irish Catholic; boy were they wrong.  Of course having such an uncommon name has made it even more of an adventure.  Any help would be appreciated.  There's a post from 2012 that I'd love to PM.  Thanks!
Kincardine-by-Doune, Perthshire, Scotland:  McGOWAN,  CLARK, etc.
England:  REYNOLDS, etc.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Okay: Kincardine But Isn't Kincardine???
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 January 15 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Kincardine or Kincardine-on-Forth is a small town on the north shore of the Firth of Forth, in Fife, Scotland. The town was given the status of a burgh of barony in 1663. It was at one time a reasonably prosperous minor port.

Kincardine O'Neil is one of the oldest villages in Deeside, in the northeast of Scotland. It is situated between Banchory and Aboyne. The village is known locally as Kinker, and was formerly known as Eaglais Iarach in Gaelic. I sent some time there as a friend lived there for several years, it is about 25 miles north of Aberdeen

As you say it is a common name, from a common place name ( and that is only two)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 January 15 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Parish of Kincardine is in Perthshire it sometimes is referred to as Kincardine-by-Doune to distinguish it from other Parishes and places. Interestingly the town of Doune is not in the Parish of Kincardine but in the Parish of Kilmadock. http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/PER/Kincardine/index.html

Kincardineshire is a County in the North East of Scotland http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/KCD/

Andy

Offline DaughteredOut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 January 15 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to both iluleah and andycand.  I read a post from 2012 by a mslonelyheart.  She mentions she has info on McGowans in Kincardine-by-Doune.  A while ago I was given a lead that my McGs emigrated from this very place.  If you're still out there mslonelyheart I'd love to hear from you.  Also, I'm a firm believer in random acts of genealogical kindness.  If I can help Stateside let me know.  I live in New England and my strongest area is French Canadian Quebecers, but I have access to other immigrant groups and extensive research sources.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 January 15 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, mslonelyheart hasn't been on Rootschat since Feb 2012.  If you make a post on her original thread she should get an email notification that a new post has been made, and hopefully come online.  Link to the thread below

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=417535.18
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 January 15 23:13 GMT (UK) »
   DaughteredOut

First of all a belated welcome , forgive me I failed to see it was your first post on rootschat ;D

If you post one more time your PM will then be open and you can directly PM the person you are after
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 January 15 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi DaughteredOut

Kincardine by Doune only had one major village/small market town named Thornhill, Perthshire (came into being abt 1695 through feuing) linked to the village of Norrieston ie Norrie the family who created both villages - be careful though  ;D there are other Thornhill's in Scotland notably one in Dumfries.  I had similar problems researching my Stewarts from Kincardine by Doune and Thornhill/Norrieston.

If you look at the Clan MacFarlane Genealogy website they do have a fairly good listing of proven related McGow[a]ns (spelling varies) from Kincardine Parish.  http://www.clanmacfarlanegenealogy.info/genealogy/TNGWebsite/index.php

Good luck!
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline DaughteredOut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 January 15 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, thank you jool, fifer, and iluleah.  I'll be checking out these leads in a couple minutes.  I so appreciate that this site is so active and fast on the turn around time.  Though I've learned the Scotland connection in only the last 2 years, it's brought a new excitement and pride in my ongoing search as to who I am.  I take it that Kincardine-by-Doune is not "in" the Highlands but on its cusp.  I've always aligned myself more with the McGowan side than the French Canadian.  As an only child--daughter--of an only son (hence daughtered-out) family history is pretty much my domain alone.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile