Author Topic: Marriage record help? SLOVINSKY - AYTON ,Henley 1942  (Read 6530 times)

Offline lemonbarley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage record help? SLOVINSKY - AYTON ,Henley 1942
« on: Thursday 15 January 15 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help with finding the correct marriage record for my aunt's mother, Joan AYTON and Peter SLOVINSKY, which took place during the second world war.

Unfortunately, my aunt knows very little about her father who was either an American or Canadian serviceman. Her mother and father went to live in Canada after the war and my aunt was to join them later, but in the end she was brought up by her grandparents in England.

I have found a marriage record for Joan Ayton and WILLIAM Slovinsky at Henley, Oxfordshire in 1941  (3a  4913), and there is another record for the same names and place in 1942  (3a  4533).

Could I have missed a marriage record for Peter Slovinsky or do you think Peter might have been his middle name? Also, why would there be two similar records?
I can only think they could have married twice. Joan would have been just 15 in 1941 and perhaps they realized that the first marriage might not have been entirely legal!

I would like to order a copy of the marriage certificate for my aunt so should I go ahead and order either one of the above?

I think my aunt would love to know a little more about her father, even if it is just where he was from, which hopefully, we will be able to find out from the certificate?
She only remembers seeing him once when she was very small, sitting in a chair in front of her grandparent's fireplace. He wanted to take her back to Canada with him but her grandmother refused to let her go.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

I'm quite new to genealogy so I hope I didn't ask too many daft questions.  :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage record help? SLOVINSKY - AYTON ,Henley 1942
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 January 15 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

There could be a number of reasons for the 2 marriage entries but being realistic - there is not going to be much in the way of the type info she is looking for.  Marriage certs have only the grooms name/age/occupation/fathers name and occupation.

It will not tell her where he came from

EDIT

If you order either or both certs - do it via the GRO and not Ancestry

www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 January 15 00:33 GMT (UK) »
There is an outgoing passenger list entry for a J Slovinsky on 22.7.1952 aged 25 housewife travelling to Canada but it is crossed through

Is Joan still alive as Rootschat have a no living persons policy
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 January 15 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought about the 2 marriages - looking at various entries for the Slovinsky surname gives the impression it may be Jewish.  Could one marriage have been in - say - a registry office and the other in a synagogue??

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 January 15 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Two marriages are recorded for Joan Ayton to Slovinsky, 1941 & 1942, followed in 1943 of a   
child

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 January 15 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Roots chat.

I have just looked at the marriage parish records on Oxfordshire Family History CD for Henley and I couldn't see any entry for either person in those.
So it looks like a Registry Office ceremony.

Not much help I'm afraid but as is so often the case with this addiction it is a process of elimination as much as anything in order to complete some searches!!!

Good hunting

NDRFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline lemonbarley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 January 15 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks CaroleW, saddles and NDRFT for your very speedy replies, it's much appreciated.

Joan passed away several years ago in Canada, where she'd lived since the war. She and Peter/William separated and divorced at some point and she later remarried. Although my aunt wasn't raised by her mother they had a very good relationship in later years and I think perhaps my aunt didn't want to upset her mother by delving too much into her past, which is why she has waited so long to try and find out more about her father.

Yes that is the right record for Joan on the passenger list to Canada in 1952. Although her name is crossed out, it is written by hand in a different section. It looks like she changed from tourist class to first class! I know she was visiting my aunt then and the address is also correct.
I can't find any record of Joan leaving the UK as a war bride though, so that is something else I will need to investigate.

I'm hoping the marriage certificate might have her father's service number or at least which of the services he was in or where he was stationed, which will be a start. Then perhaps I can ask another question on the Canada or USA board depending on what I find out.

Thanks NDRFT for looking into the parish records for me. I did wonder if there might be a record of a church wedding somewhere so at least I can rule that out which is very helpful.

I think I will send for the second marriage record and just see what it says and perhaps post an update when I have it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 January 15 12:32 GMT (UK) »
As there are 2 marriages so close together, if I were you I would give the GRO a ring before you order as they may possibly give you "2 for the price of one"

Moderator comment: suggestion removed, the General Register Office will not do that

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 January 15 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this is a picture of Joan???
It's a $$$site but seems to offer a free 7 day trial (I have no idea how much of a problem it is to unsub,though!).

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/44476598/

February 16, 1944
The Ottawa Journal from Ottawa, ˇ Page 10

BRITISH WIVES OF CANADIAN SOLDIERS ARRIVE IN CANADA British brides of Canadian soldiers on their arrival in Canada to make their homes here.' Left to right, they are Mrs. William Slovinsky from Newcastle, England, on the way to meet her husband who has been discharged from the Canadian army; Mrs. Douglas Laurie of Greenock, Scotland, whose husband is in the Canadian navy, and who is on her way to his home in Elrose, Sask., and Mrs. Ralph Ferris of Edinburgh, Scotland, whose husband is with the Canadian Provost Corps in North Africa.
You might also want to post this query on the Canada board (with a link to this topic).

Maureen