Author Topic: 1859-1860 Passenger Lists Ireland to US  (Read 9757 times)

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1859-1860 Passenger Lists Ireland to US
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Mcilwraith stonghold was in Ayrshire Scotland so it is likely if James was from Scotland his family orginates there although I cannot find him in my Mcilwraith book this one below sticks out as a possible. I don't show any descendants for the below James 1836.  I believe James left Scotland in 1853, don't know the ship and likely married in America. The 1860 census says that he married his wife within the year. His wife was from ireland. Is there a Michigan marriage cert 1859-60? What is needed is an American document showing what part of Scotland he was from as there is several men named James Mcilwraith around at the same time. The James Archibald Mcilwraith born 1824 at Auchenflower is not the right man as he died unmarried in New Zealand. There were only a few contenders in the 1851 census. The James mentioned by Looby is also possible. Kircudbright had Mcilwraith farms on it for centuries. I can trace the line back into 1600s through official documents. Can anyone shed more light on the below James?

David Mcilwraith bp 14 Jun 1796 m 14 Dec 1821 at Eaglesham, Renfrew to Jean McPhedris
James Mcilwraith baptised 25 Dec 1836
at Eaglesham, Renfrew

David Mcilwraith married 14 Dec 1821 at Eaglesham, Renfrew to Jean McPhedris

Issue:

1. Jean Mcilwraith b 25 Jul 1822 at Eaglesham, Renfrew

2. John Mcilwraith b 8 Aug 1824 at Eaglesham, Renfrew m 26 Nov 1847 at Cadder Lanark to Margaret Stirling
Issue shown in previous posting

3. Janet Mcilwraith b 5 Nov 1826 at Eaglesham, Renfrew

4. Rachel Mcilwraith b 31 May 1829 at Eaglesham, Renfrew

5. David Mcilwraith b 25 Dec 1831 at Eaglesham, Renfrew

6. Robert Mcilwraith b 18 May 1834 at Eaglesham, Renfrew

7. James Mcilwraith b 25 Dec 1836 at Eaglesham, Renfrew

8. William Mcilwraith b 10 Mar 1839 at Eaglesham, Renfrew

Previous generation was

John Mcilraith married abt 1780 to Janet McEwen
Issue:

1. Agnes Mcilraith b 16 Jun 1781 at Colmonell

2. James Mcilraith b 17 Sep 1782 at Colmonell

3. John Mcilraith b 11 Nov 1784 at Colmonell

4. Robert Mcilraith b 19 Feb 1786 at Colmonell

5. David Mcilraith b 14 Jan 1788 at Colmonell, died in infancy

6. William Mcilraith b 26 Sep 1789 at Colmonell

7. Elizabeth Mcilraith b 21 Apr 1791 at Colmonell, died in infancy

8. Janet Mcilraith b 4 Jul 1792 at Colmonell

9. Sarah Barton Mcilwraith b 30 Apr 1794 at Colmonell

10. David Mcilwraith b 14 Jun 1796 at Colmonell married 14 Dec 1821 at Eaglesham, Renfrew to Jean McPhedris

11. Elisabeth Mcilraith b 29 Oct 1797 at Colmonell

My lot of Mcilwraith were from Colmonell, they lived at Knocdolian estate, my ancestor can still be found there in the 1841 census as an old man living as an estate owner.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 January 15 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The following death on Familysearch.org looks promising for James, age, location (Ada, Kent County, Michigan) and occupation fit.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N3V5-SY8

The image has his age as 56 yrs 7 mths 14 days which works out his birth was around 24th April 1836. It might be worth looking to see if there was an obituary in the local paper.

Andy

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 January 15 01:11 GMT (UK) »
the death looks to be correct 8 Dec 1892, good find. 24th April 1836 is this going to rule out the one baptised 25th December 1836? I noticed the image attached to familysearch was like an index. Is there going to be a full death certificate available somewhere and if there is what sort of info will it have? Is it likely to name which parish in Scotland he was from and possibly name of his folks?

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 January 15 01:26 GMT (UK) »
This one was born on the 11th July 1836 & Baptised 9th August
09/08/1836 MCILWRAITH JAMES PARENTS ANDREW MCILWRAITH/ISABELLA GALLOWAY GIRVAN AYR

The James Mcilraith in Dec 1836 was born 1st December baptised on the 25th

so neither match a birth of April 1836 & they are the only two in the Scots OPR born in 1836

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 January 15 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A couple of things to keep in mind, Familysearch.org baptisms are primarily the Church of Scotland, most other denominations are not online, and the other thing to consider is that McElrath/McIlwraith may not be his birth name. I have come across examples where an illegitable child has adopted their reputed fathers surname.

Whilst a persons age may vary on records you would think the month and day would usually be accurate provided the informant was close enough.

Andy

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 January 15 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I noticed the image attached to familysearch was like an index. Is there going to be a full death certificate available somewhere and if there is what sort of info will it have? Is it likely to name which parish in Scotland he was from and possibly name of his folks?

If you click through to the next page of the record, it has additional information.  It says he was born in Ada, but his parents' names were not known but they were born in Scotland.  It's possible the person giving the information didn't know where he was born.

In case it helps, the family also appears on the 1884 Michigan state census - http://seekingmichigan.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p16317coll3/id/6113/rec/1

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 23 January 15 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Ouote: If you click through to the next page of the record, it has additional information.  It says he was born in Ada, but his parents' names were not known but they were born in Scotland. 

I can't seem to find the additional info you have seen. Interesting if he could have been born in USA this could be why we don't find him in Scotland? But then why all the census records say he was born in Scotland? I have not been able to locate him in any 1850s passenger lists. Is there a full death certificate somewhere?

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 23 January 15 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Could James have fought in the American Cival War? I noticed some entries for one in the confederate army but no idea if its the same James McElrath. Can anyone access civil war records and check please?

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 23 January 15 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.

According to the very interesting State census provided by Shelleyesq - not only is James born in Michigan but so is Ellen  ???
James gives age of 50 which would make a year of birth 1833/1834.
Ellen is recorded as being 56 which would make a year of birth 1827/1828.
And if I'm reading the second page of data correctly -
James is blind and the couple are both recorded as living for 28 years in the State of Michigan. Therefore taking up residence there circa 1856.

Given that both James and Ellen give Scotland and Ireland as place of birth on US Census, I wonder if on this occasion they were being a little economical with the truth for some reason, or an error was made.

Looby :)

Added - I now see that James gives place of birth as Scotland and Ellen gives Ireland on this Census. It is their marriage that took place in Michigan.  :-[   Need new reading glasses!