Author Topic: 1859-1860 Passenger Lists Ireland to US  (Read 9761 times)

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1859-1860 Passenger Lists Ireland to US
« Reply #27 on: Friday 23 January 15 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi loobylooayr I downloaded that census provided by Shelleyesq it says James married in Michigan, it says he was born in Scotland and both his parents were, & Ellen was born in Ireland as were her parents. If James is born in 1834 this fits with more with this family mentioned earlier in this post

MCILWRAITH       Gilbert       Head       M       M       42       Farmer 700 Acres        Wigtownshire - Penninghame           
MCILWRAITH       Martha       Wife       M       F       46       Farmer's Wife        Kirkcudbrightshire - Minnigaff           
MCILWRAITH       James       Son       U       M       18       Farm Servant        Kirkcudbrightshire - Minnigaff           
MCILWRAITH       John       Son       U       M       17       Farm Servant        Kirkcudbrightshire - Minnigaff           
MCILWRAITH       Elizabeth       Dau       U       F       14       Farm Servant        Kirkcudbrightshire - Minnigaff           
MCILWRAITH       Martha       Dau       U       F       12               Kirkcudbrightshire - Minnigaff           
MCILWRAITH       Susan       Dau       U       F       10               Kirkcudbrightshire - Minnigaff           
 MCILWRAITH       J       Son       -       M       6               Kirkcudbrightshire - Minnigaff           
 MCILWRAITH       Peter       Son       -       M       3               Kirkcudbrightshire - Minnigaff         

I would still like to see the marriage certificate from Michigan

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 23 January 15 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Yes that is the family I found -
I was inclined towards them because
1. They were farmers - as is James in US
2. The mother and a sister was called Martha - James has a daughter Mattie (Martha can be shortened to that).
3.The proximity of this family to Stranraer and therefore boats to Ireland - Joel who started this thread believed that James had been in Ireland.

However the Renfrewshire lad could still be the one  ;D

Looby

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 23 January 15 09:04 GMT (UK) »
 I now see that James gives place of birth as Scotland and Ellen gives Ireland on this Census. It is their marriage that took place in Michigan.  :-[   Need new reading glasses!

I have added to earlier post.

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 23 January 15 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Looby all the Mcilwraith's in Ayrshire were farmers for centuries nothing else. The family tree gets tricky when you see six James, six Gilberts, 5 Hugh's etc all living around the same time all farm owners it gets very confusing, I tried to explain them in my book. But the James you found with father Gilbert is looking promising right now with the age of 50 given in 1884 that fits perfect.

What is needed here is the James & Ellen marriage record from Michigan, or a newspaper entry on their wedding. A full death certificate and a grave stone pic. I have had no luck finding any of these things, my searchers coming up a blank, we need someone with access to Michigan records. 

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 23 January 15 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Looby yes that clearly states they married in Michigan. I would think 1858-1860 would be the date to be searching for the marriage. Check 1860 census says married within the year. I think James left Scotland around 16 probably reached USA 1852/53 though I could not locate him in passanger lists. He must have met Ellen after he was in USA then settled in Michigan. I don't see James as being blind I do see the possibility a James McElrath was in the confederate army someone with access to fold3 maybe able to verify if its the same James.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 23 January 15 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dunvr,

It would be interesting to know if he was involved in the Civil War.
But I'm sure (unless my reading glasses are letting me down again) that on the opposite, right hand side of the Census page, which is scanned below the left, James is noted as occupation - Farming and under the heading of Health - Blind, Deaf, Deaf &Dumb etc -    is written Blind . I have double-checked James is no. 10 on the list.
Now whether he was blind or partially sighted who knows? Is there a similar column on US Census forms?

Looby :) 

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 23 January 15 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Really not sure on the blind thing, I haven't seen that in the earlier censuses. It would have sure been hard to do farming blind? Most men in the civil war era joined so I would not be surprised to find him in the Michigan Militia or some military outfit, is there any civil war records on ancestry.com? Someone with a subscription maybe able to check what info ancestry has for civil war and McElrath's.

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 23 January 15 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Okay on a closer study it says

farming and yes blind but then it asks if the person can read or write he answers yes to both questions so then maybe he is partially blind? Next question

Time of residence within this state, he has put 28 years the same for Ellen. Therefor they must have moved to Michigan about 1856. He would be about 22 by then. Could he have lived in another state before Michigan?

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 23 January 15 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Michigan was a Union State not a Confederate State. There are quite a few James McElrath in Civil War records but I couldn't see one from Michigan.

Andy