Author Topic: 1859-1860 Passenger Lists Ireland to US  (Read 9762 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1859-1860 Passenger Lists Ireland to US
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 January 15 00:04 GMT (UK) »
 Hi again Joel, It would be helpful if you could list the full names of the children of James and Ellen please.
Did they have a daughter called Martha, by the way?

Looby :)

Offline jwmcelra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 January 15 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Looby,
James A. McElrath was born in 1835 in Scotland.  Ellen Lorraine Nolan was born in 1835 in Ireland.  They had the following children: Mattie, James W., Charles Ulysses., Loretta, and Ellen.

Thanks again,
Joel

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 January 15 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joel,
The reason I asked about the childrens names was because the Scots quite often but not always used their father and mothers names for their children. I believe the Irish may have followed this tradition too.
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?561   This link explains all :)
I also note James has a middle initial A. This could be a name he picked up and started using as an adult so don't be put off a potential James in Scotland just because he has no middle name.

Unfortunately, if James did go to Ireland prior to crossing the Atlantic it's highly unlikely you will find evidence. Boats travelled back and forth between Scotland and Ireland without passenger lists being kept.

There are a few potential James McIlwraiths (the McElrath spelling must have came about in US) in Scotland - 2 Ayrshire born boys and one Renfrewshire born - but from the quick look I've had they seem to be still appearing on 1861 and 1871 Census - so they can't be your man. Bang goes my living in Glasgow theory, as the Ayrshire boy in Glasgow appears on 1861 Census.

However there is one lad, slghtly older than your ancestor who disappears of the Scottish Census after 1851. He could of course be dead or have moved to England, but he was living in the ideal location to nip over to Ireland.

This boy is James McIlwraith   https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYMG-XJ2 
born to Gilbert McIlwraith and Martha Murray at Minnigaff Kirkcudbrightshire on 16 Sep 1832

He is living in Minnigaff with his family in 1841.
By 1851 the family is in Penninghame Wigtownshire  approx 25 miles from Stranraer - the main port for boats crossing from Scotland to Ireland.
They are farmers and they are living at Glenvosie (probably farm name)
MCILWRAITH       Gilbert       Head       M       M       42       Farmer 700 Acres        Wigtownshire - Penninghame           
MCILWRAITH       Martha       Wife       M       F       46       Farmer's Wife        Kirkcudbrightshire - Minnigaff           
MCILWRAITH       James       Son       U       M       18       Farm Servant        Kirkcudbrightshire - Minnigaff           
MCILWRAITH       John       Son       U       M       17       Farm Servant        Kirkcudbrightshire - Minnigaff           
MCILWRAITH       Elizabeth       Dau       U       F       14       Farm Servant        Kirkcudbrightshire - Minnigaff           
MCILWRAITH       Martha       Dau       U       F       12               Kirkcudbrightshire - Minnigaff           
MCILWRAITH       Susan       Dau       U       F       10               Kirkcudbrightshire - Minnigaff           
 MCILWRAITH       J       Son       -       M       6               Kirkcudbrightshire - Minnigaff           
 MCILWRAITH       Peter       Son       -       M       3               Kirkcudbrightshire - Minnigaff           

I think Gilbert and Martha remain in this area for the 1861 and 1871 Censuses.
I couldn't find James anywhere.
I liked that your James had a daughter Mattie and wondered if she was named in honour of Martha .
Of course the rest of your ancestors' children do not have names that match this family. And this boy may not be your ancestor. But I thought I would draw him to your attention.

Good luck with your research
Best wishes,

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 January 15 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The following record on Familysearch.org suggests that Mattie in the 1870 census was actually Martha
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KFWC-2GL
and according to the 1900 census she was living in Vergennes, Kent, Michigan married to James McGee c1885

the 1894 Michigan State Census has Ellen McElrath and son Charles at Ada, Kent, Michigan, Ellen is described as wife which usually implies wife of head of household but I can't find James nor an image of the census so it might be worth tracking this down to see what additional information there is.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XHK6-WMJ

Is that your tree on Ancestry? If so, what evidence is there to connect James McElrath in the United States to an Ayrshire birth?

Andy

Offline jwmcelra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 January 15 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Andy,
I actually have no information that ties James A. McElrath to Ayrshire.  There was a James McIlraith from Ayrshire that was of the correct age, but I have since found-out he never married.  So its back to the drawing board where all I am certain of is his birthdate and birth location (Scotland).  My strongest possibility is currenty James Mcilwraith baptised 25h Dec 1836 at Ealesham Renfrewshire.

Any possible leads or clues are much appreciated.  Joel

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 January 15 22:32 GMT (UK) »

Andy,
I actually have no information that ties James A. McElrath to Ayrshire.  There was a James McIlraith from Ayrshire that was of the correct age, but I have since found-out he never married.  So its back to the drawing board where all I am certain of is his birthdate and birth location (Scotland).  My strongest possibility is currenty James Mcilwraith baptised 25h Dec 1836 at Ealesham Renfrewshire.

Any possible leads or clues are much appreciated.  Joel

Hello Joel.
Perhaps you did not notice my post above Andy's  :)

Can I suggest that if you are certain of James McIlwraith's birthdate that you post it please. That would help locate the boy you are looking for.
The Farmer's son I had researched for you was born on Sep 30th 1832.

The Eaglesham boy you are now interested in is living in Glasgow by 1851 Census.

Best wishes with your search,

Offline jwmcelra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Looby,
The birthdate of my ancester, James A. McElrath is abt 1836.  Another person's tree suggests it is December 25, 1836, but I am not aware of the documentation that supports this detail.
Thanks much,
Joel McElrath

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joel

What United States records do you actually have regarding James? Do you have copies of the various censuses? have you found his death and was there an obituary? Often peoples ages were not consistent so it is helpful to see how consistent James was.

Scottish Statutory Birth Registration did not commence until 1855, prior to then you are looking for Church records many of which are not online. Do you know what denomination James was?

Andy

Offline jwmcelra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Andy,
James McElrath is documented in the 1860, 1870, and 1880 US census'.  I do not have an obituary.  The family tree states his death as Feb 24, 1903, but I have no documentation to support this.  Also according to the family tree, James was protestant.
Thanks,
Joel