Author Topic: Mary Prosser  (Read 4962 times)

Offline kaysands

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Prosser
« on: Friday 16 January 15 04:11 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace/locate a Mary Prosser born abt 1834 in Nairn, but in 1851 Census states Forres, Elginshire.  The 1841 Census has her living with a Christina Elder and a Margaret McQuien, address Skeens Close.

1851 Census, has her as a  House Servant, still with Christina Elder who is a Matron and a Margaret Munro, niece.  The address is NairnTown Country Hospital.

In 1855 she migrated to Tasmania aboard the "Storm Cloud" where she married a James Cables.

Any help with Mary would be gratefully accepted.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Prosser
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 January 15 15:58 GMT (UK) »
There are several tree's on Ancestry with a death date 10 November 1904 buried Sheffield General Cemetery Tasmania ....Her husband James same place 12/6/1903 ...There are some pictures of the grave stone and one of Mary  :)

Offline kaysands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 January 15 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, that is the family I am trying to help. 

They have discovered that the parents they had for Mary  is wrong, so we are all trying to find out where she comes from.  It is all fun and games, but hey that's the joys of trying to find out where you all come from.

Thank you once again Rosie for your help.

Regards
Kay

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 January 15 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay .....I did notice a few tree's with the wrong parent's maybe her birth was not registered which sometimes this is the case before 1855 when it was compulsory ...I think there might be some connection with Christina Elder as she was with her in both census forms ...I see Mary arrived 1855 under the indenture system ...Have you tried to get a copy of her marriage to see what information is on it ?
Rosie

Offline kaysands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 January 15 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie,

Again thanks,

The family members have sent away for the marriage Certificates hoping there is info on that.

Also there is a story that Mary's father was a horse guard at one of the Palaces, but they think it is just a made up story.

I find it strange that when you do your family trees, some members are so easy to find, and others you just can not find.  I eventually find them, but it may take me months, but that is what I like to do, find the difficult ones.

Also on one particular family tree, they have a grandfather dead in 1872, which is correct, but they have him living in UK 10 years later with his other wife and 15 children, and when you inform that member of the error, they completely ignore you.  Ah the joys.

Once again Rosie, thank you, I won't hold my breath finding her, but you never never know.

Regards
Kay

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 January 15 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay well fingers crossed you get some information on her parents ....Think we all have problems tracing family some are easy and some are untraceable  ??? ??? I have a few ...I agree about some of the information on trees don't know how many times I have seen a dead person coming back to life  ;D ;D ...Oh well it keeps us busy  :D