Author Topic: Malcolm Mckenzie Muir  (Read 2657 times)

Offline katrina42

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Malcolm Mckenzie Muir
« on: Friday 16 January 15 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi my great great uncle was Called Malcolm Mckenzie Muir he played football for Aberdeen Fc early 1920's. i am trying to find out my uncles whereabouts after that and have no living relatives that i know of whom i can ask.does anyone recognise the name of my grandfathers brother please.
muir,barr,horan,costello,marren,donnelly,ayr,kilmarnock,dundonald,campbeltown,mayo,ireland,paisley

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Malcolm Mckenzie Muir
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 January 15 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking for a marriage on Scotlands People to see who he married I assume you have his birth certificate with his parent's names ?

Offline katrina42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 January 15 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi rosie he was my grandfathers brother and i have the bloodlines but as he was born in 1903 i am unable to find anything other than what i have already have confirmed by a cousin in cyprus. the middle names add to the confusion as did my ancestors work because they were carters and some were born in Ayr and others in Campbeltown.its been a few years since i posted anything but i do know that yes he was my grt uncle and i have his fathers name also siblings but this has been a great breakthrough for my research or so i thought.
muir,barr,horan,costello,marren,donnelly,ayr,kilmarnock,dundonald,campbeltown,mayo,ireland,paisley

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 January 15 19:15 GMT (UK) »
There's a tree on Ancestry that has a Malcolm Muir, son of Malcolm Mckenzie Muir and Mary Brown, born 18 Aug 1899, Campbeltown; died 4 Nov 1974, Aberdeen. Married Jeanie Robertson, 5 Dec 1919 in Cambuslang. Two daughters: Margaret (Meg) Muir, born 1920, Cambuslang; died 1988, Aberdeen;  and Jean Muir, born 1929, Aberdeen; died 2014, Aberdeen.

This obituary -  http://www.ukunitarians.org.uk/aberdeen/newsletters/AberdeenUnitariansApr14.pdf - for Jean Lowe (formerly Richie, nee Muir) (page 6) mentions that her father was a footballer with Aberdeen FC, and the club's website confirms that a Malcolm Muir played for the club between 1925 and 1930 - the only Malcolm Muir they seem to have had - so it seems likely that this is, indeed, your Malcolm Muir - assuming his parent's names and place of birth match what you already have.

I haven't verified any of the dates, but you should be able to do that easily enough on Scotland's People.
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline katrina42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 January 15 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much this is indeed my great grt uncle whom i have been researching today.cannot thank you enough
kindest regards
katrina

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 January 15 20:15 GMT (UK) »
My pleasure  :) Just goes to show that - in some cases - Google really is your friend  :D If only I could resolve some of the puzzles in my own tree so easily...

It looks from the obituary like Jean Muir had two children from her first marriage, so it seems likely you've got some cousins still living who you may be able to get in contact with.

McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.