Author Topic: Susan Maguire married Peter Markey child baptized at Church Kildallow diocese K  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Irishbluebutterfly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for  heritage of my Grandmother  ( Anna Markey, born August 26, 1889).  As per Her immigration Ship manifest , ANCHORIA ( departed from Londonderry) places CAVAN as her last place of residence dated AUGUST 29, 1904.   Her mother was Susan NEE: Maguire, (married Peter to Markey) had child baptized  at Church Kildallow diocese baptized  at Church Kildallow diocese Kilmore is on certificate of birth & baptismal.  Sponsors were. Michael Donahue & Jeane Maguire at Ballyconsall.

Susan Markey,  (NÉE: Maguire) traveled to Ireland  with her children while pregnant with her 7th child from New York to be with her Mother Catherine Maguire for Support because her husband died (Peter Markey) from influenza.

Sadly, Susan died after the birth.  Leaving her newborn Aunt Jeannie, Son Peter (passed very young) James ( died aboard ship of mishap) Alice (married John O'Brien) Mary (John Jaheney, Susan (William Comes) Anna (Albert Nelsen whose name was mixed up at Ellis Island when immigrated from Norway.  Nielsen) and newborn Jane (Thomas Kiely) as orphans with Grandparents.

......Their Grandparents Catherine & (we "think"  Michael) Maguire,  was remembered to be laid out in uniform with white gloves, a Constable) took care of the Orphans.   When Constable Maguire passed, Catherine lived with various relatives because they could not afford a place of their own for about 2 years. 
Catherine decided to take children to New York to start some kind of business, leaving 2 youngest my Grandmother Anna and Jane (I always knew her as aunt Jennie, the birth certificate has (Jean) in parenthesis) to be sent for when a bit older with an Aunt  (Cooper,~made barrels & butter tubs) who was married to a Michael Sexton.
Catherine perished shortly after arriving with Alice, Mary, and Susan.   When the girls were old enough they raised money to bring Grandmom, and Aunt Jennie to New York two years apart.  It was said to be utterly shattering for these two to become separated after all the loss already endured.

Grandmother ( Nana Nelsen)soon became betrothed, I have the engagement clock from presents recieved.  Nana Nelsen was devastated when he died, however, eventually she married to Albert Nelsen From Norway. Albert died when My Mom was 8, with four older brother's Albert, Arthur, Thomas, & John. 

Nana lived a very long, hardworking life with her 5 babies until 1987.  She remained faithful to Albert, never remarrying.  I've been told there were many offers, however she
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color][/color][/size] chose not to.  She was a kind and faithful woman who loved Jesus and America Feverently!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Susan Maguire married Peter Markey child baptized at Church Kildallow diocese K
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 January 15 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Age is a few years off but this seems to be the only Ann* Mark* (age 15 +/- 5 yrs) living in Cavan in 1901 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cavan/Killeshandra/Main_Street/1064271

However, if she was in an institution she will be listed under her initials.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Susan Maguire married Peter Markey child baptized at Church Kildallow diocese K
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 January 15 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for you kind effort!  sir/m'am?  1901 is certian to her, age 11, having been born in August of 1889.  It is curious that her younger sister was not in the same home. .Jean or Jane was her name...maybe even Genuvive.  This research is so interesting, albeit confusing much of the time.  Anna & Aunt Jennie's mother Susan NÉE:  Maguire had a sister whom they had lived with for awhile.  Her sister's husband's family may have been involved somehow in placement. 
        There is a Peter Markey in death certificate research that I found.  He passed age 69 In 1892, around the time Aunt Jennie was born.  Registered in Coothill Parish,  cause of death Senile Decay.  Must have been her Grandfather?  Can u imagine your Son passing in America, his widow traveling with all those children back to Ireland?  The tale just spins sadder, & sadder!  I've  tried looking up to find HIS birth info....unsuccessfully though. 
  Again, my thanks!
               Bella Jane Marsilio

Looking for  heritage of my Grandmother  ( Anna Markey, born August 26, 1889).  As per Her immigration Ship manifest , ANCHORIA ( departed from Londonderry) places CAVAN as her last place of residence dated AUGUST 29, 1904.   Her mother was Susan NEE: Maguire, (married Peter to Markey) had child baptized  at Church Kildallow diocese baptized  at Church Kildallow diocese Kilmore is on certificate of birth & baptismal.  Sponsors were. Michael Donahue & Jeane Maguire at Ballyconsall.

Susan Markey,  (NÉE: Maguire) traveled to Ireland  with her children while pregnant with her 7th child from New York to be with her Mother Catherine Maguire for Support because her husband died (Peter Markey) from influenza.

Sadly, Susan died after the birth.  Leaving her newborn Aunt Jeannie, Son Peter (passed very young) James ( died aboard ship of mishap) Alice (married John O'Brien) Mary (John Jaheney, Susan (William Comes) Anna (Albert Nelsen whose name was mixed up at Ellis Island when immigrated from Norway.  Nielsen) and newborn Jane (Thomas Kiely) as orphans with Grandparents.

......Their Grandparents Catherine & (we "think"  Michael) Maguire,  was remembered to be laid out in uniform with white gloves, a Constable) took care of the Orphans.   When Constable Maguire passed, Catherine lived with various relatives because they could not afford a place of their own for about 2 years. 
Catherine decided to take children to New York to start some kind of business, leaving 2 youngest my Grandmother Anna and Jane (I always knew her as aunt Jennie, the birth certificate has (Jean) in parenthesis) to be sent for when a bit older with an Aunt  (Cooper,~made barrels & butter tubs) who was married to a Michael Sexton.
Catherine perished shortly after arriving with Alice, Mary, and Susan.   When the girls were old enough they raised money to bring Grandmom, and Aunt Jennie to New York two years apart.  It was said to be utterly shattering for these two to become separated after all the loss already endured.

Grandmother ( Nana Nelsen)soon became betrothed, I have the engagement clock from presents recieved.  Nana Nelsen was devastated when he died, however, eventually she married to Albert Nelsen From Norway. Albert died when My Mom was 8, with four older brother's Albert, Arthur, Thomas, & John. 

Nana lived a very long, hardworking life with her 5 babies until 1987.  She remained faithful to Albert, never remarrying.  I've been told there were many offers, however she chose not to.  She was a kind and faithful woman who loved Jesus and America Feverently!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 January 15 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Could this be Anna'se younger sister? Jane Markey age 9-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cavan/Carn/Bacade_Glebe/1057450

What was the name of the aunt and uncle the girls stayed with?

Same Fitzpatrick family in 1911 with mother-in-law Catherine Macguire-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cavan/Carn/Brocade_Glebe/317913

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 January 15 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Found Anne Mcguire's record using your search,  Great Grandmother Susan's Sister!   She had been married 24 years, a widow.   2 living children Patrick, and John (ages 20 & 21). As well as 3 single brothers living with her McGovern~John, James, &   Francis (ages 63,58, & 43)

Off to discover more!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 January 15 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Is Susan's sister not Mary Anne Fitzpatrick?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 January 15 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Maguire had 4 living children (one passed, assuming it was Susan) aunt Jennie lived with Thomas & MaryAnne Fitzpatrick. . .I am getting confused! 
     Oh! I see 1901 has Aunt. Jennie with the Fitzpatrick's, 1911 cencuc has Catherine living 2 doors down with her Daughter & Son in law.   Now who is Jean Maguire on the birth certificate....
     Gosh I better get on desktop so that I can print what I am finding, taking notes, but one getting mixed up!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 January 15 17:43 GMT (UK) »
MaryAnne Fitzpatrick is/was. Catherine's daughter. NEE: Macguire!  Jean/Jane Maguire must have been her husband's sister...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 January 15 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Family stories are a great starting point for research but sometimes they aren't accurate so you need to check the stories against all possible records before assuming too much.

Sticking with just the family of Peter Mackey & Susan Maguire-
1) 1880 U.S. Census shows the couple with daughter Alice living in New York
2) Susan Mackey born 12 July 1886 Manhattan
3) Anna Mackey born 24 Aug.1889 Manhattan
4) 15 Oct.1891 "Teutonic" arrived N.Y. from Liverpool & Queenstown: Susan Markey (34), Alice (11), Jas (10), Susan (6)
5) 1900 U.S. Census shows Alice O'Brian with sisters Mary & Susan
6) 1907 Susan Markey married William Comes
7) 1908 Mary C. Markey married John Laheney

Now to some earlier comments you made-
"Found Anne Mcguire's record using your search,  Great Grandmother Susan's Sister!   She had been married 24 years, a widow.   2 living children Patrick, and John (ages 20 & 21). As well as 3 single brothers living with her McGovern~John, James, &   Francis (ages 63,58, & 43)"
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cavan/Killashandra/Killashandra_Town/340768/
Anne Maguire, maiden name probably McGovern, was the widow of a McGuire. So, how can she be the sister of your Susan (Maguire) Markey?

"There is a Peter Markey in death certificate research that I found.  He passed age 69 In 1892, around the time Aunt Jennie was born.  Registered in Coothill Parish,  cause of death Senile Decay.  Must have been her Grandfather?" 
Absolutely not ‘must have been her grandfather.’ Are you just assuming by surname, age and Cavan that he’s grandfather/even related?

You really do need to do back to the original records and take careful notes of all the family before trying to find any of the family in Ireland.