Author Topic: Are these two marriages, Paisley, the same bride?  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are these two marriages, Paisley, the same bride?
« on: Friday 16 January 15 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Any ideas on this would be appreciated. I have Christina Chillas marrying Peter Henderson 8 July 1837 in Paisley and this marriage is one I came to routinely via my family research.

However, I also have found a Christina Chillas marrying a William Forrest, 20 March 1837. Is it possible that this could be the same bride and if so, how so?

Naturally, my first thought was that William Forrest had died and Christina had remarried -  but not so.

I have checked for births of other Christina Chillas in the area, which might explain two marriages of the same name, but  none.  I have checked for William's death thereby making Christina a widow - none.

I checked the 1841 census for both a Christina Forrest (in case there were two Christinas) and a William Forrest, but there was no Christina Forrest.

There is a William Forrest in Abbey who was manager of a cotton mill and who has a 70 year old woman living with him and a woman (30) Jane Forrest, who is a cotton reeler. I checked for a marriage of a William Forrest to a Jane - but none. She may well be his sister. They were both born in Renfrewshire.

Then I checked for a death for a Christina Forrest (which would also indicate the existence of two Christinas) but - none.

I favour the theory that the two Christinas are different people but is it possible that they are not? If not, how could that come about, short of bigamy?

Sorry, another one of my little puzzles!

Regards Eliza.
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Are these two marriages, Paisley, the same bride?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 January 15 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eliza,
Looks like there were 2 Christina Chillas.

1841 Paisley, Incle Street.

William Forrest             50         Wright          Born outside Census County
Christian Forrest           40                             Unknown
Mary Robertson             15         Servant       Renfrewshire

Christina is listed on 1851
10 Incle Street Paisley

Christina Forrest         50      Annuitant         Widow      born Lanarkshire, G;asgow
Margaret McNair         20    House   Servant                  borm Argyll, Inverary

Looby :)

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 January 15 22:05 GMT (UK) »
A possible

CHRISTIAN Chillas  Birth
Gender   Female
Birth year   1797
Birth place   GLASGOW, LANARK, SCOTLAND
Father's first name(s)   Robert
Father's last name   Chillas
Mother's first name(s)   Ellison
Mother's last name   Anderson
Place   Glasgow
County   Lanarkshire

Also

Christian Chillas
Female
Birth year   1808
Birth place   Kilbarchan, Renfrew, Scotland
Father's first name(s)   Arthur
Father's last name   Chillas
Mother's first name(s)   Isabel
Mother's last name   Chran
Residence   Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire, Scotland
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 January 15 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou very much Looby and Deebel,

How did I miss those! Query solved.

The second birth in 1808 is my Christina, despite the fact that her name is transcribed as Christian - her mother was Isabel Cochran. So the other one in 1797 must be the one who married William Forrest. The William Forrest I found from the mill must be another one.

Great, you've made short work of that  :)  thankyou very much indeed.

Kind regards,
Eliza.
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 January 15 22:52 GMT (UK) »
No problem Eliza.
I think Christina and Christian were interchangeable a bit like Jane/Jean , Janet/ Jessie etc. So perhaps the name is not mistranscribed but is correct from the Old Parish Record.

Good luck with your research,

Looby :)

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 January 15 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you're right Looby. I have just bought the record from SP and she is recorded as Christian, with mother's name shortened to fit the space.

I wish SP had a subscription option  - it adds up a lot when several of one's families are from Scotland.

Eliza.