Author Topic: George Henry SANDERSON, death 1855, Islington  (Read 2455 times)

Offline John Woods

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Henry SANDERSON, death 1855, Islington
« on: Friday 16 January 15 22:29 GMT (UK) »
The death of a George Henry SANDERSON is registered in Islington on the first (Mar) quarter of 1855, Vol 1b page 148.
I *think* this is probably the same George who was married to my relative Caroline Rachel WEST, but without his age in the index I can't be sure. This George was baptised in 1817 so would have been about 37 or 38 at the time of the above death registration.
I followed my normal practice of looking for corresponding burials and newspaper notices in the first three months of 1855 but have turned up nothing, making use of Ancestry and Findmypast.
George turns up with his wife in the 1841 and 1851 census and was a tobacconist who had younger brother Edwin and older brothers or half brothers William and Charles James. His only child that I know of was Caroline Eliza, whose husband was Samuel MILTON (married 1869).
Regarding the 1855 death or burial, does anyone here know more?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Henry SANDERSON, death 1855, Islington
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 January 15 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Have you found Caroline Eliza and/or her Mother in 1861?

Added:
Caroline Eliza with grandparents in 1861?

Caroline (Mother) milliner in 1861, married but no husband.  Or is that another Caroline?

Perhaps he went back to Russia?

Or death certificate for his occupation etc?

Offline John Woods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 January 15 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Chempat

Yes I did find Caroline Eliza in 1861 with her grandmother. This points (not conclusively though) to one or both of Caroline Eliza's parents being dead by then.

Regarding George Henry's birthplace being stated as Russia (in the 1851 census) this is one of the biggest mysteries in the family. His two older brothers (or half brothers) were born in the USA (one in New York, and one not specified as to where) and his younger brother was born in England. There are two possible explanations, one that the family spent some time in Russia (possibly in connection with the tobacco business which George's father and later he and his brothers were in). The second is that Russia refers to the place in New York State, USA.

As for the Caroline in the 1861 census, married but no husband, I don't think there's enough evidence in the census alone to prove it's the same person.

One person believes that George Henry migrated to Australia, but I've seen no evidence yet.

So far I've been very lucky with many of my London ancestors that I've found burial records, but not so for George Henry Sanderson.

It looks as if I'm going to have to take a chance and order the death certificate! If it's the right person there could be some worthwhile clues about the elusive Sandersons.

Regards
John

Offline John Woods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 January 15 05:28 GMT (UK) »
Good evening Chempat

I now have some answers on George Henry Sanderson! The death certificate arrived today (it took 7 days from when it was sent from England). It *was* my George Henry Sanderson who died in Islington in 1855. He died 10 January 1855 at 4 Thornhill Street aged 37 years. Occupation was cigar manufacturer; cause of death: Chronic Bronchitis, 14 years ; Informant: John Shaw, present at death, 3 and a half Noble Street, St Lukes. John Shaw was his brother-in-law.
The exact date of death may make it easier for me to find a newspaper death notice.

John

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 January 15 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Well, it is very satisfactory that the death certificate is the correct one, even if no-one on here could give you any extra help.
Also the address and brother-in-law give useful information.

Offline zanyrainey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 March 15 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Good day!  Today, while working on my family tree, I came across your post.  My 3rd great grandfather was Charles James Sanderson,  the half - brother of your George Henry Sanderson.  I have a record of George Henry's baptism in 1817 at Saint George Parish, son of William and Ann, DOB: 1 June 1817.