Author Topic: Imelda (Emalda) Edith Chivers  (Read 5283 times)

Offline SecondLife

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Imelda (Emalda) Edith Chivers
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 07:49 GMT (UK) »
My friend thinks the child born in 1932 was Jimmy (James) and went to live in South Africa.  She also remembers Imelda (or Emelda) getting an invitation to her mum's wedding this would have been circa 1959. I am away from tomorrow for a few days but as soon as I get back I will scan the photos that she has lent to me.  One thing did occur to me, some time ago someone told me that there was a tree on Ancestry for Edith Henrietta Norton, as I do not have Ancestry, only FindMyPast, I could not verify this.

Offline African Queen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - I think James was the husband and together Edith and James went to live in S Africa. From now on I think personal message might be more suitable as more private. Have good trip.

Offline SecondLife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 March 17 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, sorry I haven't come back to you with the promised photos but I have been away for a short break however I sent the photo to my friend and she confirms that it is her grandmother and she thinks she has a similar or the same photo and she will try and find it this week.  Would it be easier if we corresponded by email, mine is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data..

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline ScoutMidlands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 April 17 18:31 BST (UK) »
Edith Norton Chivers had a male child in 1932; his name was Alfred Dominic Peter Angelini, born in Tabora and died on 6 January 2008 in Kent, UK. She left the child with his father. I believe, later on, the child was looked after by nuns in a convent and then by an archbishop. His father was taken as a prisoner of war. I am researching more about Edith:

1. How many children did she have and if any are still alive.
2. Why did she put her children in an orphanage in Dar-es-salaam
3. Who the father of Jim was.

Offline SecondLife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi as you can see I've had a long conversation with African Queen regarding Edith Henrietta.  To the best of our knowledge and with what we have managed to work out, Edith firstly married William Chivers who is the father of Anthony Halfern, then she married John Edward Chivers and had Elvin May, Imelda Edith and Helen Mary.

African Queen says that Edith Henrietta is the mother of her grandfather, Alfredo Angelini who was also left with his father on the understanding that Edith never contacted him.

None of Edith's children are still alive but her grand daughter Pam is a very close friend and is interested in finding out more about her family.  If you could send me a personal message I will let you have further details.

Offline ScoutMidlands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 April 17 22:16 BST (UK) »
I was told some time ago, that Edith became a Red Cross nurse. I wonder if that's true and if there would be records of nurses out in Africa?

Offline SecondLife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 April 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
If that is true then the Red Cross keep a lot of their records, I recently obtained from them the record of when my father was taken prisoner of war in Singapore.  Their records are kept in Geneva I believe.

Offline SecondLife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
I was told some time ago, that Edith became a Red Cross nurse. I wonder if that's true and if there would be records of nurses out in Africa?

On the Red Cross there is this record, whether it is the right person or not is another question http://www.redcross.org.uk/About-us/Who-we-are/History-and-origin/First-World-War/Card?fname=Edith&sname=Norton&id=161847&first=true&last=true

Offline ScoutMidlands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 14:48 BST (UK) »
I think Edith Chivers Norton would have been too young to be a nurse with the dates for the Edith on that website. But thank you anyway.