Author Topic: Albert Edward Hillier b.1881 Marlborough, Wiltshire  (Read 3413 times)

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Edward Hillier b.1881 Marlborough, Wiltshire
« on: Saturday 17 January 15 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me unravel Albert?

He was registered born January 1881 and I have him getting married, aged 32 to 17 year old Charlotte Griffiths at St Catherine, Liverpool on 6 December 1913.   He was a Mariner by profession and the witnesses to the marriage provide no assistance at the moment.  Charlotte is my connection and her details are all correct so I know this is a correct marriage.

He gives his father as James Edward Northcote (not Hillier) a Brewer.

Going back on the census I can find him as follows:

1911 lodging with the Byrne family in Liverpool (RG14 22177)
1901 Royal Navy Crew member on board HMS Renown stationed in Malta (RG13 5332 10 11)
1891 as 'brother in law' to Ernest and Jane Northcott (Northcote?) in Marlborough and on this census Albert looks like he had as an older brother Charles (b.1879)

going back 10 years Charles and Albert are with their Hillier grandparents Stephen and Harriet (RG11 2038 105 13) with another youngster Emily Hillier (aged 3)

On the 1881 census there is also a Jane Hillier (aged 21) living with Stephen and Harriet and I believe she is the Jane Northcott 10 years later.  Certainly the relationships would fit and a Jane Hillier does marry an Ernest Bolt Northcott in 1883 in Marlborough.

(There is also an Albert Edward Hillier back and forth on passenger lists, but also one with the same birth year of 1881 in Pennsylvania with a wife called Minnie and another on the 1921 census in Canada but I don't think either of them are 'my Albert' as the Penn Albert names his parents as Francis Hillier and Sarah Ann (nee Miles) and the signature between the Liverpool marriage and the Penn Albert's naturalisation documentation is vastly different).

So I am confused and cannot find any positive trace of Albert or Charlotte after the 1913 marriage or the mere existence of a James Ernest Northcote.

any suggestion as to finding who Albert's parents are and where Albert and Charlotte went they would be gratefully received

Thanks
Ruth

Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Edward Hillier b.1881 Marlborough, Wiltshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 January 15 00:26 GMT (UK) »
He was registered born January 1881

any suggestion as to finding who Albert's parents are

Buying a copy of his birth cert seems the most straightforward way
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 January 15 00:45 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of Hillier births with mmn Griffiths in various parts of Wales.

There are 2 Albert E Hillier deaths - December 1960 Chepstow aged 80 and September 1946 Liverpool aged 65

A Charlotte Hillier married in Liverpool in 1947 to John Ashton and there is a death in Liverpool in 1962 for a Charlotte Ashton b 1896 
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 January 15 01:11 GMT (UK) »
He was registered born January 1881

any suggestion as to finding who Albert's parents are

Buying a copy of his birth cert seems the most straightforward way

Without a cert to  prove  it ,  but  I've a suspicion that  Albert,  Charles and Emily  are Janes  illigitemate  children ,  and   Albert  put  James Northcott down as  his father ,  as  that  iswho brought  him up!

Young Emily is still with  Stephen and Harriett Hillier   in 1891   

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 January 15 01:23 GMT (UK) »
and   Albert  put  James Northcott down as  his father ,  as  that  iswho brought  him up!

Ernest Bolt Northcott brought him up

Certainly the relationships would fit and a Jane Hillier does marry an Ernest Bolt Northcott in 1883 in Marlborough.

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 January 15 01:34 GMT (UK) »
and   Albert  put  James Northcott down as  his father ,  as  that  iswho brought  him up!

Ernest Bolt Northcott brought him up

Certainly the relationships would fit and a Jane Hillier does marry an Ernest Bolt Northcott in 1883 in Marlborough.

Duh !      sorry , my  mistake ! .............