Author Topic: South Huish - Widdemore - Jarvis  (Read 3106 times)

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South Huish - Widdemore - Jarvis
« on: Sunday 18 January 15 09:40 GMT (UK) »
For a number of years, I have been researching the Jarvis family who lived at Widdemore (now Withymore) Farm in the parish of South Huish. This family is well documented and fairly easy to research. However, I have been unable to resolve two connected issues.

These issues are related to Abraham Jarvis, who I have as baptised at Malborough in 1759, and his son, William, who appears to have been born about 1786 and who later married Sarah Perrott Tuckerman.

Abraham appears to have married Elizabeth, presumably some time before 1786. Three other children of the couple were:

Elizabeth White Jarvis  - who I have as baptised at Loddiswell in 1787 (married Thomas Pearce);

Mary Jarvis - who I have as baptised at Loddiswell in 1789 (married John Huxham); and

Ann Jarvis - who I have as baptised at Malborough in 1794.

The name of the first daughter suggests that the maiden name of Abraham's wife was White.

I am unable to find a convincing marriage record for Abraham and Elizabeth or a baptism record for William.

Is there anyone out there who has researched this family and has an answer to either issue, or is there anyone who can suggest answers?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: South Huish - Widdemore - Jarvis
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'd like to offer something I spotted online but I'm afraid can't back up.
An online tree has a marraige at Loddiswell 23.4.1794  Abraham Jarvis and Elizabeth White.
While I can't check that as transcriptions on line seem to only go up to 1753 for marriages ,this website will do a look up for you.
http://www.our4bears.net/parishes/Loddiswell/Loddiswell_intro.htm

The same website does give a baptism for William the son
William Jarvis 22.9.1785 to Abraham and Elizabeth Jarvis in the parish records of Loddiswell at Buckland TS chapel.

Hope that helps

Cidferdrinker

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks 'ciderdrinker'. I think that solves the baptism of William.  I suspect that the marriage date is 66% correct, but 10 years in error. Like you, I can't find any marriage records for Loddiswell in the 1780's. Anyone out there with access?

Offline bolttail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 February 15 14:34 GMT (UK) »
For the benefit of anyone reading this item, I have now learned that 'findmypast' has the following marriage on it's website. 8th February 1785 - Loddiswell - Abraham Jervis and Elizabeth White. No image is available for this entry. I would still be interested to hear of any more information contained in the original record. e.g. The respective parishes of the bride and groom, or whether the marriage took place at Loddiswell or Buckland Tout Saints.

Offline txgeniusa37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I have transcribed wills of this Jarvis family: Anne 1853,  William 1826.  You can find them on Genuki Devon.  Google "Melba Jarvis Miller" My great Grandfather John Jarvis (1827) left Devon in 1849 and came to Galveston TX.  He left a wife and 2 children there, names unknown,  So many Johns.  Just don't know who his parents are.  I think maybe John and Maria Beer.