Author Topic: Robertson's in Inverness and Orkney  (Read 10359 times)

Offline Paul Michael Robertson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robertson's in Inverness and Orkney
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 August 15 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenn,

I wrote a response, but for some reason it didn't seem to post.  (Or maybe I've now done it twice!)

I don't know from what part of this line that I descend.  My furthest back is Alexander Robertson, born circa 1772, in Scotland, but I am unsure where.  He was in the Royal Navy, and there are musters indicating different places ("Leith," "Glasgow," and a third just says "Scotland.")

I am searching among these Orkney Robertsons because y-dna testing places Alexander precisely among this line of Robertsons.  I am nearly an exact match with three different men that descend from three different sons of Thomas/Euphan (namely, George, Thomas, and Edward), one of them from that second marriage of Edward/Christina Groat, and am also a dna match (not quite as close, but again nearly exact) with another man who descends from further back in these Orkney Robertsons, namely, James Robertson, who came to Orphir in 1630 from Perthshire, establishing this line of Robertsons in Orkney.  He is no doubt also the ancestor of the Thomas/Euphan - George/Jean Gray line.

So, from this work, we know that my Alexander fits among these Robertsons, and that Thomas/Euphan the also descends from the 1630 James line.  I have run out a pretty big tree descending from James 1630 down, but haven't yet figured out how George/Jean fit in, nor how my Alexander does.  Though I know that they do fit together. 

Does this make sense?!  A challenge to explain without the trees available as a prop!

The help I need is filling in the Thomas/Euphan line down, and the Jame 1630 line as well, and identifying other currently living male Robertsons who might be willing to test to help fit these line together. 

There is a dna page of the Orkney Robertsons available, and that I can forward to you if you are interested!

Paul

Offline aomething

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 13 August 15 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenn,

I wrote a response, but for some reason it didn't seem to post.  (Or maybe I've now done it twice!)

I don't know from what part of this line that I descend.  My furthest back is Alexander Robertson, born circa 1772, in Scotland, but I am unsure where.  He was in the Royal Navy, and there are musters indicating different places ("Leith," "Glasgow," and a third just says "Scotland.")

I am searching among these Orkney Robertsons because y-dna testing places Alexander precisely among this line of Robertsons.  I am nearly an exact match with three different men that descend from three different sons of Thomas/Euphan (namely, George, Thomas, and Edward), one of them from that second marriage of Edward/Christina Groat, and am also a dna match (not quite as close, but again nearly exact) with another man who descends from further back in these Orkney Robertsons, namely, James Robertson, who came to Orphir in 1630 from Perthshire, establishing this line of Robertsons in Orkney.  He is no doubt also the ancestor of the Thomas/Euphan - George/Jean Gray line.

So, from this work, we know that my Alexander fits among these Robertsons, and that Thomas/Euphan the also descends from the 1630 James line.  I have run out a pretty big tree descending from James 1630 down, but haven't yet figured out how George/Jean fit in, nor how my Alexander does.  Though I know that they do fit together. 

Does this make sense?!  A challenge to explain without the trees available as a prop!

The help I need is filling in the Thomas/Euphan line down, and the Jame 1630 line as well, and identifying other currently living male Robertsons who might be willing to test to help fit these line together. 

There is a dna page of the Orkney Robertsons available, and that I can forward to you if you are interested!

Paul

I would be very interested in the DNA page!  It sounds like you have all of Edward/Christina children.  I'll post my line, which is James (from Edward's first marriage)

George Robertson (1701-?
Jean Gray 1700-?

Thomas Robertson  1738-?
Euphan Taylor 1738-?

Edward Robertson  1791-1855
Margaret Sutherland 1780-1855

James Robertson 1814-1881
Elizabeth Bremner Cromarty 1813-?

James Cromarty Robertson 1841-1928
Jean Sutherland 1841 -?

James Robertson 1868-1905
Mary Ann Davidson 1868-1909

John Sutherland Robertson 1895-1975 (My grandfather)
Barbara Ann Johnston 1899-2008

I hope this helps!

Jenn

Offline aomething

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 13 August 15 16:24 BST (UK) »
Annie-

My friend's line from N. Uist:

John Robertson 1787-?
Catherine MacQueen ?-?

Archibald Robertson 1807-1881
Euphemia MacLean 1801-1885

Duncan Robertson 1832-1918
Annie Matheson 1838-1921

Hugh U. Robertson 1873-?
Catherine Laing  ?-?

That is all I have for now.

Jenn

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 14 August 15 00:41 BST (UK) »
My friend's line from N. Uist:

John Robertson 1787-?
Catherine MacQueen ?-?

Archibald Robertson 1807-1881
Euphemia MacLean 1801-1885

Duncan Robertson 1832-1918
Annie Matheson 1838-1921

Hugh U. Robertson 1873-?
Catherine Laing  ?-?

1841 - Baleshare (Names which are the same from your list in blue)

Archibald Robertson 55 Crofter (c1786) - Possible brother of John 1787
Catherine 50 (c1791)
Duncan 20 (c1821)
Neil 20
Ann 15
Catherine 15
Malcolm 12
Catherine 10
Janet 6

Donald MacLean 70 Crofter (c1771)
Margaret MacLean 65
Archibald Robertson 36 (c1805)
Euphemia 32 (c1809)
Catherine 12
Donald 10
Duncan 8
John 4
Marion 2

Donald Robertson 30 Crofter (c1811) Possible brother of Archibald 1807
Marion 35
Euphemia 7
Donald 3
Mary 6m
Christian MacLeod 14

1841 Illeray

Neil Robertson 50 Crofter (c1791) Possible brother of John 1787
Catherine 43
Ewen 23 (A variant of Hugh)
Anne 15
John 15
Catherine 13
Donald 11
Ann 10
Flory 7 (Flora)
Catherine MacKinnon 20
John MacKinnon 2w

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline aomething

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 August 15 12:42 BST (UK) »
Annie-

Do you by any chance know who John Robertson (1787) and the possible brothers, who their parents are? If I can get past that, It would definately open up some doors!

Jenn

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 14 August 15 14:26 BST (UK) »
Annie-

Do you by any chance know who John Robertson (1787) and the possible brothers, who their parents are? If I can get past that, It would definately open up some doors!

Jenn

The simple answer is no.

If John died pre 1855 you would be hard pushed to get that info. as records don't go back far enough unfortunately.

Do you know where he died & when as the only way to get his parents would be his death cert.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline aomething

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 14 August 15 15:02 BST (UK) »
Annie-
Thank  you.  I'll have to start searching!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 14 August 15 15:26 BST (UK) »
I can tell you that Robertson is not a familiar name to N/Uist & looking at the census there are some living on N/Uist who came from Skye.

All the names I gave you as possible brothers for Archibald, husband of Euphemia from the 1841 are down on 1851 as born N/Uist but whether John came from elsewhere is the question & he's not on the 1841 so I'm presuming he died pre 1841 but I can't say for sure  ???

I have sent an email to someone with a great knowledge & info. on N/Uist (who lives in Canada) with your query so will see if he has anything further to add  :-\

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 14 August 15 15:31 BST (UK) »
1851 Baleshare

Archibald & Euphemia now have an addition, son Roderick 7