Author Topic: Hector Kelly Royal Scots 4th Battalion - Death in Hipswell  (Read 3389 times)

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hector Kelly Royal Scots 4th Battalion - Death in Hipswell
« on: Sunday 18 January 15 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Guys,

I am presently researching and compiling a book of the men who served and fell during the Great War from my local area.  One guy I am researching is Hector Kelly.

Private Kelly was 34 years old and was born in Cambusnethan, he had enlisted at Peebles and resided with his parents, Mr and Mrs Kelly of Woodhall Place, Cambusnethan. Prior to enlistment Hector was employed in his father’s bakery business and was a member of Coltness Memorial Church and Wishaw Cronies Club.
Hector had earlier seen service in France having been invalided home to recover from his wounds some months before his death.  Hector was drowned on 15th April 1917 at Hipswell, England, where he was training with his battalion. It seems that Private Kelly left camp to go into town and got caught in a violent storm that evening. On the following morning his body was discovered in the River Swale. At the inquest into his death a verdict of “Found drowned” was returned, presumably by falling into the River Swale. He was of a quiet, reserved disposition and was held in high esteem by his fellow soldiers. I would really appreciate a picture of his headstone if this is at all possible.

Many thanks,

Swally

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Hector Kelly Royal Scots 4th Battalion - Death in Hipswell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 January 15 23:32 GMT (UK) »
I would really appreciate a picture of his headstone if this is at all possible.

You haven't included any details of where he is buried although that info is on the cwgc website together with the grave number.  Both the cwgc website and his burial record shows him as aged 37 not 34 and that he was Hector Alexander Kelly

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/408932/KELLY,%20HECTOR%20ALEXANDER
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 January 15 01:18 GMT (UK) »
you can get a copy emailed to you for £3.50  @  http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=2534845
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 January 15 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks mate, just thought someone nearby could get me a picture if it wasn't too much trouble.  I have 173 grave pictures to get! Hopefully I'll get a grant from the lottery to get them, but until then

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 January 15 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Imber, I was looking for a picture of the individual headstone, or am being thick?

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 17:40 GMT (UK) »
I won't test your sense of humour by answering that! However, perhaps just best to say that they seem to photograph individual headstones. Certainly worth asking them if they can help with this one and then take it from there?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Imber, I thought they had all the headstones on the site and I was doing something stupid

Offline pauline58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 February 15 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Swally,

I have been researching the soldiers buried at Hipswell churchyard including Hector Kelly. You can see apicture of his gravestone at findagrave.com