Author Topic: DEACON family Leicestershire  (Read 15636 times)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
Re: DEACON family Leicestershire
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 28 February 15 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Badger

I've not really done much on the Letts because I concentrated on my wife's paternal line - she doesn't share my interest in genealogy so there's not been much enthusiasm for doing much on her other lines. However from what I have done I found that Thomas Letts 1814-1866 was born in Cold Ashby according to census records. He married Sarah ? and by 1841 they were living in Sibbertoft where he was a tailor. They had William 1837, Elizabeth 1839, Jane 1842, Henry 1844 and Sarah Ann 1849. Dates are approximate and based on data in censuses. Jane was my wife's great grandmother and married into a milling family in Welford.

Sounds like there might be a connection doesn't it?

Tony

Offline badger77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 01 March 15 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony

According to FreeReg, William Letts was Baptisted in Cold Ashby, 9 Jul 1837, son of Thos (Tailor) and Sarah. Whereas my William looks like he didn't arrive in Cold Ashby until around 1843 going on the birth of Alfred their 3rd child but the 1st one to be born in Cold Ashby so looks like they just missed each other by around 5 years.
Strange thing is it was their 2nd child, Mary Ann born 1842 who married William Deacon in 1874 who where my 2nd Gt Grandparents.
Small world!
Leicestershire      Northamptonshire    Rutland
Deacon                 Almond                       Gotch
Hodges                 Letts                            Newbold
Kilby                       Maydwell                    Parker
Norton
Wilson
Wood

Ireland - Donegal
Doherty
Devine
Diver
McLaughlin

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 01 March 15 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Close but no coconut!

Offline Gma1945

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 20 March 15 20:08 GMT (UK) »
This may not be connected to your "Deacon Family", but thought I should share.

I have found a marriage document for my Great Grandmother- Sarah Ann Headley married a Christopher Deacon in 1864. It looks like he was born in Rutland, but I don't know anything about his family. He was killed in a work related accident in Sheffield in 1866, if I'm looking at the right person.
Sarah Ann later married William Hunt of St. Margaret's, Leicestershire in 1872.

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 20 March 15 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi GMA1945 (sounds like we may be the same age!)

Thanks for your interest. Deacon is actually a pretty common name in the East Midlands, possibly elsewhere too. I've not come across the Deacon in your family but I've also not tied down which Deacon family my Elizabeth came from. I suspect that the Deacon family may be a brick wall too far for me. It must be a bit like having the surname Smith in your family!

Tony

Offline Gma1945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 21 March 15 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely right -,lol! So many possibilities- hopefully something works at some point- good luck with your research😉

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 04 January 16 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi tony

My mums cousion is lee she lives in blaby her mother was Jane Pryor (Hartshorn)  from barkby father John Pryor ,sarah Pryor  was born 1872 she married a John William deacon lived in checketts Road Leicester she told me her grandad always said that they weren't related to the ones in Kilby or fleckney but I did say do you think he was wrong ,because there must be a connection to them with the spelling being the same I'm have been wondering if they are cousins or some thing
Steve

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

Thank you for your interest.

Deacon is actually a very common surname both in Leicestershire and elsewhere in the UK so it is very likely that there are a few unrelated Deacon families in the county. Having said that, I think the fact that there are a lot of Deacons in the Kilby/Fleckney area makes it more likely that they are from the same family. My own surname is much more uncommon than Deacon and yet I've found quite a lot of historic families with my surname in Leicester and they do not seem to be related going back at least to the mid 1700s and probably farther back.

I'm still hunting for the family of Elizabeth Deacon born around 1800-05 who claimed in censuses that she was born in Kilby but which village parish records have no sign of her or of her surname around the time in question.

cheers
Tony

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 31 January 16 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony
It's Steve
I have made my self a member of phillimores marriages
I have found that the deacons also came from great Dalby and little Dalby.thsese are my mums relations as well.also the Pryor family and hartshorn family.
Steve