Author Topic: Greenaway BOYCE born 1846 or 1847 in Co. Down?  (Read 12262 times)

Offline bourke-shaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greenaway BOYCE born 1846 or 1847 in Co. Down?
« on: Tuesday 20 January 15 10:26 GMT (UK) »
I would love to know who his parents were....  most of the family trees on Ancestry state William and Jane (nee Patton) as his parents, but his death certificate from Invercargill, NZ, states the name John.  I would be most grateful to know if anyone has the correct information for me.   :)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Greenaway BOYCE born 1846 or 1847 in Co. Down?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 14:37 GMT (UK) »
A Greenaway Boyce married in Lurgan District (County Armagh) in 1878. If same chap, his marriage record should name his father (I am confident this will say William) and give a townland/address for Greenaway. Marriage details should be available, at a cost, via, for example:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

Remember, info on death certificates is only as accurate as the knowledge of the person giving the info.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 14:41 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't already, contact with this person might be helpful:

Neil Boyce    11th November 2004 22:48   

my great grandfather WALKER BOYCEb1849 emigrated to New Zealand c1873 from Ballydugan,County Down,Northern Ireland.He married MARY JEMIMA SLOAN in Invercargill NZ in 1879.
They had 13 children.My grandfather WILLIAM JOHN b1881 married Louisa Catherine Everett 1911.They had 3 children.My father WILLIAM HORACE BOYCE b1914 is still alive.His cousin GORDON ASHER BOYCE travelled to Ireland in the early 1970s and compiled a very comprehensive family tree of the descendants of WILLIAM BOYCEb1818,married JANE PATTON b.c1822at Knocknamuckly Parish County Armagh Northern Ireland 22.4.1841

as found at:

http://www.boycegenes.4t.com/GR_Info_Requests.html

The following is also an interesting thread:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/boyce/messages/683.html

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 15:14 GMT (UK) »
If your Greenaway's mother was indeed a Patton to her maiden name, then possibly the forename 'Greenaway' came down through the Patton line. See Patton/Bradshaw marriage at :

http://www.bradshaw-ulster.co.uk/FamilyTrees/FT-James1849Breagh.htm

and note that one of the witnesses was a James Henry Boyce.

Offline bourke-shaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Wow - thank you sooo much for all that information that you have kindly given me.  I am absolutely delighted.  Today, I have followed the leads that you have suggested;  I have ordered the marriage certificate although it doesn't look like it has the forename for Greenaway's father...    The information from Neil Boyce is precisely what I need too - I don't know how to get in touch with him to see if there is any more information or anything I can help him with.  Do you know how I can do that?  It would be great to know who were the parents of Gordon Asher Boyce too.
You are quite correct in your suggestion that the Greenaway name came down through the Patton line - I have found a couple of Greenway or Greenaway Pattons, and think that one of them had a mother Mary Greenaway born c.1742 and married a William Patton. 

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Neil Boyce has in the past been active on both Genes Reunited and Ancestry. Do you have current membership of either? If you do, you could contact him via same.

Regarding the marriage certificate. When you say you have ordered same, do you mean an actual certificate that will arrive by post? The site I linked to allows you to do this, but it also allow you to purchase credits and view a copy of the certificate immediately online, which is cheaper than ordering an actual certificate that you might not need.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 21:14 GMT (UK) »
http://genforum.genealogy.com/ireland/down/messages/17.html

Griffiths Valuation of Ireland - Tullylish, County Down
Greenway             Isaac                Hill Street,Gilford                     Tullylish     Down
Greenway             Isaac                Portadown Road,Gilford                  Tullylish     Down
Greenway             James                Portadown Road,Gilford                  Tullylish     Down

Gilford is a village in County Down, Northern Ireland. The village sits on the River Bann between the towns of Banbridge, Tandragee and Portadown. It covers the townlands of Loughans, Ballymacanallen and Drumaran. Gilford village is in Co Down but  Tandragee and Portadown are County Armagh

May be worth you looking on Ros Davis's Co Down site too http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/P/Patton.htm

"................daughter of Greenaway Patton ;........... "
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline bourke-shaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 January 15 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, iluleah, for your helpful sharing of websites - they are fantastic bits of information to digest. 

Offline bourke-shaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 January 15 04:05 GMT (UK) »
And yes, Scotmum, I have actually ordered the certificate from Ireland....  perhaps I didn't need to, as you suggested....      I don't have a subscription to Ancestry (too expensive, although I occasionally use it free at the local library), and Genes Reunited I am trying to organise information from.  Will keep trying.  I would really like to make contact with Neil Boyce - he sounds like he has a gem of information and sounds like a lovely person that would be happy to share (as it seems so many lovely genealogy people are).