Author Topic: Greenaway BOYCE born 1846 or 1847 in Co. Down?  (Read 12250 times)

Offline davey.h

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenaway BOYCE born 1846 or 1847 in Co. Down?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Willia boyce and jane patton were married at seagoe coi in22/4/1841 unfortunatly before civil registation so it doesnt give parents names.

In1857 they lived in ballydugan townland william 40 jane36  james henry16 john 14 greenaway 12 walker 8 william edward 3 simon1

From my research greenaway is named after his maternal grandfather greenaway patton

Unsure if greenaway was baptised at knocknamuckley althought a lot of his 10 brother and sisters where

Greenaway married mary jane porter in seagoe 1/7/1873
Greenaway boyce full bactilor farmer ballydougan william boyce farmer
Mary jane porter full spinster seagoe john porter farmer

The is a boyce family tree book  about william and jane patton i lucked out there was a copy in the linen hall library in. Belfast

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   It may be of interest but on 2 Apr 1852 Alexander Boyce (father John) married Eliza Ann Patton (father Greenaway) in Tillylish Church of Ireland, Banbridge.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline bourke-shaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 March 15 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Davey and Kingskerwell, for all that really useful information.  It is so appreciated.  Yes, Davey, I do believe that Greenaway Wellington Boyce was baptised at the Knocknamuckly Parish church - on 22 November, 1846. 

Re Alexander (father John Boyce) - does anyone know if his (Alexander's) siblings were William, Robert, Thomas?  Any more?  And who was their mother (John's wife)?

Offline killiekithnkin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 January 17 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Interested in the Boyces of Ballydugan. John Boyce (1815-1897), son of John Boyce and Mary McCormick, was my Gt Gt Grandfather. He married Sarah Ann Forsyth (1820-1902) from Dromore, Co Down in Gilford, Co Down on 18th Nov 1844.

John and Sarah moved to Ayrshire, Scotland and lived their lives there in Girvan, Troon, Saltcoats and Ardrossan, having 11 known children along the way between 1843 and 1862. Among them was my Gt Grandmother, Mary Boyce (1846-1915), who married James Welsh in Glasgow in 1877.

A poor relief application made late in life by John Boyce indicates he was from the parish of Ballydongan, Co Down, Ireland. However, as far as I can determine, there is no place called Ballydongan in Co Down or elsewhere in Ireland for that matter.
If you look closely at the poor relief application, which would have been written by the assessor in Ardrossan, I believe it could either say Ballydongan or Ballydougan?

There seem to be a couple of Ballydugans in Co Down! i understand that locally it was pronounced Ballydougan or Ballydoogan which would explain why the assessor noted it as such.

One Ballydugan lies on the border between Cos Down and Armagh. It lies between Lurgan and Gilford, which would make John and Sarah’s marriage place plausible.
Note Dromore, Co Down (Sarah Ann Forsyth’s said birth place) is not very far either.

Ballydugan is also a townland lying SW of Downpatrick and the road between Downpatrick and Clough is actually called the Ballydugan Rd.

Be pleased if anyone can share any info you have on the Boyces of Ballydugan

David McMillan
McMillan Kilmarnock then Glasgow (possibly earlier Mullen)
Johnston Kilmarnock
Wallace Tyrie Paton Kilmarnock
Wilson Stranraer
Bennett London Brighton Glasgow
Welsh Ayrshire Ardrossan Saltcoats West Kilbride
Boyce, Co Down, Girvan, Ardrossan, Saltcoats
Fleck West Kilbride, Stevenson, Ardrossan, Saltcoats
Sellwood, Gloucestershire, then London
Shortland, Gloucestershire area, later London
Hook, Gloucestershire, then London
Coulter, Girvan then Glasgow
Kirkland, Coylton, St Quivox Kirkmichael

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 January 17 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Extract of 1841 census for the Boyce family of Ballydugan. (probably used to support a pension application in 1909) This Ballydugan is in the parish of Tullylish.

John Boyce -  Head of house Aged 36.
Mary Boyce - Wife aged 40
James Boyce - Son age 13
Christopher Boyce - Son aged 12
William John Boyce - Son aged 7

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Neil Boyce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 August 18 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, iluleah, for your helpful sharing of websites - they are fantastic bits of information to digest.
Hi I have just re-registered with this site,and have some details on Greenaway Boyce and ancestors.

Offline Kat_C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 August 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
I have some long Ballydougan Boyce trees.  However, with so many repeated given names, the trees have "?" and "probably" in them which church records can not solve.  Do you have firm Boyce trees you would share? 

Offline Neil Boyce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 August 18 23:48 BST (UK) »
The family tree that was researched by a relative(Gordon Boyce)begins with William Boyce b.1818,who married Jane Patton b.1822,at Knocknamuckley Church on 22/4/1841.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 August 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
The family tree that was researched by a relative(Gordon Boyce)begins with William Boyce b.1918,who married Jane Patton b.1822,at Knocknamuckley Church on 22/4/1841.

You may need to amend post!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.