Author Topic: 1857 st james bristol baptism lookup please?  (Read 1627 times)

Offline bradelkington

• RootsChat Veteran
  • third great grandmother Elizabeth bull b.1839
    • View Profile
1857 st james bristol baptism lookup please?
« on: Tuesday 20 January 15 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi there please could somebody lookup the baptism of clement and roseina dursley at st james Bristol on 18 February 1857, I would like to know the abode and fathers occupation please, parents were Charles dursley and sarah marshman, thankyou

Offline Ruth17

• RootsChat Member
  • My grandparents John & Sarah Evans
    • View Profile
Re: 1857 st james bristol baptism lookup please?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 October 15 15:40 BST (UK) »
The record you mention is on Ancestry, but is only a transcription - and gives details other than the ones in your question. You will need a record office lookup to get the full details for the childrens' baptisms.

However, the 1861 census gives Charles' occupation as "journey painter' which I imagine means journeyman painter. My first guess was joinery painter - but if that is correct, then it is a very odd writing/ spelling. They are living at 3 Heathpole Street, Paddington St Mary.
The household includes:
Charles Durley    30
Sarah Durley    26
Clement Durley    6
Rosina Durley    7
Emily Durley    3
Frances Durley    11/12

Emily was born in Bayswater, London, Frances in Marylebone, Middx and all the others in Bristol

I am fairly certain that the original gives their surname as Dursley, and the 'Durley' is a transcription error.

WITHERS, BEVAN, PARNELL, TOVEY & MINETT, Thornbury GLS;EVANS Amberley GLS & B'ham post 1872; VINCENT Burbage WIL & Avening GLS; WEST & BISHOP, Tetbury GLS; RATCLIFFE Kemble & Rodmarton GLS;

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk