Author Topic: Smiths of Ancrum Roxburghshire  (Read 4549 times)

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smiths of Ancrum Roxburghshire
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 February 15 13:30 GMT (UK) »
have to tried the IGI / laterdays saints Index

they appear in it

Offline Clark Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 March 15 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Terianne.
Yes I have tried the IGI site and have found the same problem. Too many "Andrews" without links to establish a direct line.

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 September 15 00:32 BST (UK) »
I understand your frustrations with the Smiths. I have Smith from Roxburghshire too. Mine is John Smith and he married a woman called Jane Main(s)- so I now have to look for John and Jane Smith     ( no record in Scotland). All their sons were born in England and the daughters in Edinburgh.  One of the sons is John Smith and the girls Janet ( sometime called Jane).  Please!!!
Lanarkshire: Dow, Dickson, Duncan, Buchanan,  Maclachlan, Wallace, Mitchel, Freckleton, Dollar, Whitten(on),Liverance, Murray, Gibson, Scoular, Telfer, Fisher,Slimman
Bo'ness: Henderson, Wallace, Foot(e)
Irvine: Petrie, Millar, Jaffrey, Allen,Boyd,
Edinburgh: Huldberg, Smith, Main, primrose
Roxburgh: Main, Smith, Sutherland
Wales: Islay, Wilkes, Morris, Ponter
England: Murray ( Windsor), Ponter ( Bath),
Ireland: Whitten, Irvine, Miller, McWilliams,Tremble,Greenaway, Stevenson,Wilson

Offline Clark Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 September 15 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi - My Great Grandfather was John Smith Born in North Ingram Northumberland in 1829 he married Jane Ainslie who was born in Hownam Nr Morebattle Scotland in 1832. (Married 1853)
Both are buried in Ilderton Cemetery Nr Wooler,Northumberland. (John 1915) (Jane 1910)
They had 5 Children:-John Born 1857 - Morebattle
                               Elspeth Born 1859- Morebattle
                               Adam Born 1863 - Morebattle
                               Jane Born 1869 - Alnham, Northumberland
                               Richard Born 1871 - Alnham, Northumberland
There is a history of at least three generations moving from Scotland to England and vice versa. The males were all shepherds and the places they lived were more or less situated along the old "Drovers Roads" between the South of Scotland and the North of England. Johns father was William and his mother was Jane both are buried in North Ingram Cemetery, Northumberland.
Having said all that I think this may not be the ancestors you are looking for however it may help for the purposes of elimination.

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 September 15 20:11 BST (UK) »
My John Smith was a tailor and born in Roxburgh. I wondered if they had perhaps been married in England and was going to try and trace the male births.  After Jane's death I believe John married a woman named Margaret but to search is too expensive because I don't know whether to look in England, Scotland , Edinburgh or Glasgow. Their daughter married at 17 in Glasgow so I don't know if the whole family moved there or just her or what

Jane was buried in Old Calton Cemetery in 1853 but they checked their records and couldn't find her  her
Lanarkshire: Dow, Dickson, Duncan, Buchanan,  Maclachlan, Wallace, Mitchel, Freckleton, Dollar, Whitten(on),Liverance, Murray, Gibson, Scoular, Telfer, Fisher,Slimman
Bo'ness: Henderson, Wallace, Foot(e)
Irvine: Petrie, Millar, Jaffrey, Allen,Boyd,
Edinburgh: Huldberg, Smith, Main, primrose
Roxburgh: Main, Smith, Sutherland
Wales: Islay, Wilkes, Morris, Ponter
England: Murray ( Windsor), Ponter ( Bath),
Ireland: Whitten, Irvine, Miller, McWilliams,Tremble,Greenaway, Stevenson,Wilson