Author Topic: Unrecorded VC holder.  (Read 28900 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unrecorded VC holder.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 January 15 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Just to check you have the right man. I found the following 2 quotes:

Gunner Stuart FAGG of the Royal Field Artillery, who was recently awarded the Victoria Cross is one of three sons of the late Mr Henry FAGG and Mrs FAGG of Thornton Farm, Eastry, who are serving their country in the present war. Brother of Mrs Albert BOURNE of Kearsney.

FAGG STUART %% VC?    EASTRY    ONE OF 7 SONS(ONE OF 21 CHILDREN)BORN FUNTON IWADE MOTHER LIVES AT EASTRY.

So obviously some confusion? ;D

Another thought?
If he served for 52 days, November and December 1914, would a Victoria CRoss have been awarded before 31st December 1914?

The Military Authorities are not noted for speed of action?! ;D ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 January 15 09:17 GMT (UK) »
KGarrard Thanks i have those quotes .Definitely my Grandfathers cousin .Have had all the details of his family and whereabouts etc in our family tree.I did wonder if he had been nominated not awarded and the assumption was he would get it. A little snippet in the 100 years ago section of out local paper mentioned him being feted for winning the VC. as this is a remarkable achievement I was surprised we had not heard of it in the family. Consequent investigation by myself has led to this post.
As Flattybasher9 says and concurs my thoughts this may well have been either a windup by the gunners in hospital to the reporter or the reporter made the whole thing up as a propaganda morale booster. It certainly received a lot of coverage in other papers all seemingly stemming from his story.
Thanks for the link Malky.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 January 15 09:26 GMT (UK) »
All VC's awarded are mentioned in The London Gazette.

Just looking at an example, it would appear that it took at least 2 months for the paperwork to go through?
(Actions in September, Award end of November)

So, I agree, it looks like propaganda or misinformation?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 January 15 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Thinking further about it, if the forename "Stuart" was used instead of "Stewart", if anyone had queried it, Stewart could have said it was another Mr Fagg, and not him, leading the questioner to look elsewhere.

Regards

Malky

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 January 15 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Have you read the service records for this man? Service number 27276 RGA. 29 October 1917 he was awaiting trial for conduct to the prejudice of good order and military discipline. He was given 12 months imprisonment with hard labour. Reduced to the rank of gunner and unexpired portion of his sentence was remitted to date of embarkation 1 Jan 1918.

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 January 15 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Crisane i did wonder if that Court Martial and Verdict was  reason enough to have expunged the award and deleted all references to it on records.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 22 January 15 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Modified

It is reported, that on orders of King George V, "The power to cancel and restore awards is still included in the Victoria Cross warrant but none has been forfeited since 1908".

So it looks like that the story may have caught up with him.

Regards

Malky

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 22 January 15 09:51 GMT (UK) »
The whole story doesn't ring true. Why would the Germans plan to shoot 25 at dawn? How did they move the guns ( and ammunition)? Were the horses standing there patiently?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 22 January 15 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Can't find any mention in the London Gazette of "Victoria Cross" and "Fagg" in the same article?! :-\

Which I think goes to prove that it wasn't awarded - and therefore couldn't be cancelled?