Author Topic: Re: death record for workhouse  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: death record for workhouse
« on: Wednesday 21 January 15 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I have a death record for my ancestor who died in Ballybot workhouse. It states he was certified with his complication for six months.  Does anybody know if you have a death certificate from a workhouse would you be buried in the paupers grave.  The problem is I think I have a burial in St. Mary's graveyard  Newry for my ancestor who died 1908.  The person in question is James Hunter 1854-1908.  This is the only record for specific date and name from Newry in Groni death records that I can find. Occupation and date match on the Groni record.  He had living relatives at the time. So I find it strange he didn't live with them. I'm trying to find a connection between St. Mary's grave and the death record.  Thanks in advance. 

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   The certificate will only list the place where he died and where he was buried was up to relatives. If nobody claimed the body he would be buried in a paupers grave but I have come across cases where people dying in workhouses were buried by relatives in church graveyards.
     It is also worth remembering that many workhouse infirmaries were used by poor people who were not necessarily paupers or inmates of the workhouse .

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Airdriehunter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for the info.  Yes, that makes a lot of sense as he was working in 1901 census in Scotland and his son was working and married at the time in Newry.  So, I need to check parish records for the death to direct me to the buriel to see if grave is his.  Thanks again.