Author Topic: John SMALL b abt 1838 Caithness  (Read 16141 times)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John SMALL b abt 1838 Caithness
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 June 15 07:10 BST (UK) »
You're quick! There may be more, but I also have Alexander and David. Jemima is also Jamesina Jemima.
Another site that's good value for Markwells is Lincs to the Past, with tons of original parish registers, and just good all round, freeukgen, family search and the Queensland and NSW bdm and archives.

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 03:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Searchr,Do you have a pedigree/family tree of the SMALLs?...because after reading through the 3 pages several times on out subject I am a bit confused!
               What relation was DAVID SMALL[senior] to anyone?
               Was JANE CALDERa maiden name?
               I believe JOHN SMALL s[our JOHN's grandfather] ..wife was JANNET SMALL[birth name]..maybe a cousin?..as their5 children ELIZABETH,JOHN,DAVID,ALEXANDER and ROBERT are listed under JANNET SMALL!
                I have this feeling I may have to much information so I might use the biro for a while and cross check...bye Medusa ::).

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 05:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Medusa,
I think most of your questions will be answered if you type in worldconnect and go to world connect project and type in e.g. Tait Jannet. Lots of trees come up and many are actually our Jannet e.g. http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=small32 and http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=snowdon They seem to be backed up pretty well by e.g. freeukgen and family search. They have many more in their trees.
The marriage of David Small and Janet or Jannet Tait is on both freereg and family search and their family is on e.g. freecen. Be careful of grandchildren versus children.
Some of their children's baptisms are on freereg, with Janet as Janet Tait for William and John, and as Jannet Tait for David. David's christening is on family search too, as are those of Elizabeth, Catherine and Janet, with father David Small and mother Janet Tait. I haven't found your Alexander and Robert. Jane Calder (maiden name) married John.
The will of David Small 1863 on Scotlands people seems to back up much of this.
Enjoy.

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Searchr,
                 Thanks for that info I am already making trails through the TAIT's and SUTHERLANDs'..ha ,ha..My ALEXANDER and ROBERT are listed on a Family Search Pedigree chart[blue and pink ]..cheers..Medusa

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 20:03 BST (UK) »
glad it's helped you
I don't understand about your Alexander and Robert. Would it be possible for you to post a link please?
Also have you happened to come across the James Small from this: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTLK-ZYG ? Do you think this could be David and Janet's son? He seems too old for a first marriage then. Maybe it's his second marriage, or maybe this is the first marriage of James, the son of John Small and Jane Calder. That James married Margaret Bremner in 1871 it seems. He then seems to have died and she married William Graham according to http://www.brebner.com/uploads/bre14975.pdf
Oh the endless possibilities...

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 July 15 05:16 BST (UK) »
Hi searchr,
              I think your 1849 marriage of JAMES SMALL could be him[40years old]..?mind you some married a lot younger and older.
              I am going to have ago at
sending  you this pedigree after I work out al the symbols??.....MEDUSA....OOPPS The file is to large?
dont know why its A4 size..I will cut it in half and have another go..

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 July 15 05:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry I have sent hundreds of these before but for some reason the site wont let me do it ??? Iwill keep having a go M

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 July 15 05:32 BST (UK) »
AGAIN AND AGAIN ?

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile