Author Topic: John SMALL b abt 1838 Caithness  (Read 16140 times)

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
Re: John SMALL b abt 1838 Caithness
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 January 15 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi searchr

You can post the request for emigration on the Australia board...there are some super
sleuths on there ;D
Just put a link to this thread for background ;)

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 January 15 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again: will do (and will press button!)

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 06:54 BST (UK) »
To searchr, JOHN SMALL [my wife's GG Grandfather] came out to Brisbane as a sailor I believe on "THE CITY OF BRISBANE"...the same ship THOMAS MARKWELL and his family did including HARRIETT MARKWELL in 1862,who then married JOHN SMALL in 1863 in SOUTH BRISBANE!

I have not been able to get any records from the Qld Government ,which is strange as I can get records of passengers fom the "CHASTLEY" in the 1840's which carried THOMAS MARKWELL 's siblings?.

THOMAS MARKWELL died in a tree felling accident just after the family got to Brisbane!
I am not sure where you are but if you are in Scotland ,maybe you can find some shipping records regarding the "CITY OF BRISBANE" over in England[I believe that is where she sailed from.

JOHN SMALL is buried in Murwillumbah Cemetery[age 78 in 1917] while the MARKWELLs are a well known family in Brisbane,saying that his son ISAAC is buried at  Lutwyche  Cemetery, Brisbane and his granddaughter VIOLET LUTISHA SMALL married WALTER PARRY at LISMORE N.S.W.

Would appreciate it if you could list JOHN SMALL"s parents as I got a bit confused after reading the messages...Regards Medusa ::)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 21:32 BST (UK) »
great to hear from you Medusa!
I'm in Brisbane.
John Small's parents seem to be David Small and Margaret Sutherland and his grandparents seem to be John Small and Jannet Tait.
Why do you think he came on the City of Brisbane? It would make such sense if it was true. There are records on microfilm and cards at the Queensland State Archives in their shipping section about the City of Brisbane, including crew who signed on at Plymouth. John Small wasn't on that list, but it does look as if there was a fold in the original where you can't see what was written. Maybe he got on somewhere else. There's also information there about an enquiry about the City of Brisbane, but Thomas Markwell's testimony seems to be missing. I've now learned there's an inquest there into Thomas's death, but I haven't looked at that yet.
Bill Barlow wrote a book about the voyage of the City of Brisbane, in more than 1 edition, that's in the Brisbane City Council Library and the Queensland State Library. I should check it again as it has complete passenger lists, with, in the first edition, Thomas, "Hannah" (Harriet?) and Mary transcribed as Harkwell and the rest of the family as Markwell. This was corrected in the next edition. A lot of the shipping records from that time were damaged in the big 1893 Brisbane flood.
Please let me know if I can help more. See other threads I've posted in for more information about Thomas and Harriet. Thomas's headstone from Paddington or Milton cemetery seems to have been buried in a gully at Toowong Cemetery for fill!

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 June 15 04:36 BST (UK) »
Hello again Seachr,thanks for the info on JOHN SMALL's parents etc....
               I am going to list 2 sites you may have not seen but they are very helpful!
               CHERRY SEED
               CLIFTON BEACH
               As you can see I am not to flash on the PC but I can tell you one thing in this researching,not everything is gospel...ie my wife's maternal family[Irish/Italian] changed their names[christian/surname] at least 15 times from the 1880's to the 1930's so it would not surprise me what was true or not,but I would like to think JOHN SMALL met HARRIETT MARKWELL on board "THE CITY OF BRISBANE"...Redards Medusa

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 June 15 21:00 BST (UK) »
It makes perfect sense for it to be true. I'll do a little more checking. Please let me know if there's something I can access in Brisbane to help.
I know the Clifton Beach site: http://tng.cliftonbeach.net/ but I can't find the cherry seed one you mean. Could you please give me a bit more information and maybe the link? Thanks.

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 June 15 07:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Searchr,Yes I tried to be fancy with cherryseed.wordpress.co./tailors-the-markwell-family
                    So if it does'nt work google john small-harriett markwell and it will come up!
                    Had good results with DAVID SMALL/MARGARET SUTHERLAND...our John ada a sister..Jannet?....but can only get DAVID's father JOHN been married to an AGNES TAIT 21/12/1802,however DAVID's birth mother is listed as JANNET SMALL and DAVID had 4 siblings ?
                    Oh what fun this is..see you..Medusa ;)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 June 15 03:57 BST (UK) »
It is fun isn't it? highly addictive
What a great site! It will take me ages to explore.
Other bits that could be interesting for you:
David Small's will 1863 on Scotlands People
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~denisesfamily/
world connect: type it in and click on world connect project
enjoy

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 June 15 04:12 BST (UK) »
How many children did DAVID SMALL and MARGARET SUTHERLAND have??..besides JOHN and JANNET!..I have JEMIMA and JEAN?....Medusa