Author Topic: Illegitimate child - Charles Lennox Butler  (Read 11699 times)

Offline RevHead

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate child - Charles Lennox Butler
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 00:50 GMT (UK) »
OK, I've located by inbox messages on rootschat and replied - thanks for the "heads up"  :) 

Offline RevHead

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 18 March 18 07:04 GMT (UK) »
I've purchased the will of Charles Lennox Butler but there is no mention of Robert Hastings Smith in it - so no way of making the connection between father/illegitimate son there.

Can anyone direct me on "Bastard Laws" in the UK here?

So far, here's the link between CLB and RHS as I understand it:
1. Charles Lennox Butler (CLB) is listed as the father on RHS's death certificate in 1901 (with a hand-written notation adjacent to the entry saying "correct")
2. RHS names his oldest son Charles Lennox Smith (and his youngest daughter Charlotte Butler Smith)
3. RHS has at least one (and possibly multiple) trips back to England during his lifetime, and
4. RHS apparently has a "pension" given to him through Meads Solicitors that ends in 1885 the time of Charles Lennox Butler's death (I haven't seen proof of this - just read about it on the rootschat thread).

All of these links do point to the veracity of Charles Lennox Butler being Robert Hasting Smith's father but is "circumstantial".

Any thoughts anyone? - seeing as the will of CLB offers no proof.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 23 April 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
What an amazing topic ...some of the news stories are strange .

I think its best to keep this title and have this one about CLB an JHS  and their relationship .

If you already have a record of JHS being paid a pension by CLB vis Mearn the solicitor surely that is proof of paternity .

I wonder what is the farm you talked about ..

and the proof of mothers name

I have an example of a family of 3 children with either mothers name of putative fathers name depending on census . could that be the case for Mary Ann ..which surname does she use the most ?
could you list the names of the children you know please 

detective work needed  but you must be having fun with your exciting neighbours .
could you give a summary time and date line

do the names sound Aristocratic ?  Where does that Hasting middle name come from ?

Do you know who brought Robert up and where he might have gone to school
School records are a great source of info give exact birth dates of children name parent ot guardian and often give reason for leaving that school or details of school they came from .

Another source of info can be asylum/hospital records I obtained my great grandfathers from 1924 and it said he was second of twelve siblings and gave next of kin which was his eldest sister ..but again you have to pay and it may reveal nothing useful .

happy hunting

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson