Author Topic: Stoke Lodge, Ludlow, Shropshire  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Wendyellen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stoke Lodge, Ludlow, Shropshire
« on: Thursday 22 January 15 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any idea if this place was an estate at one time please?  I have found in my family tree research that my partner's aunt (maiden name Morgan) married into a family by the name of Coldwell in the mid 1950's and his parents seemed to have some connection with this place. Many thanks

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stoke Lodge, Ludlow, Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 January 15 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi the only possible piece of information I could obtain, was that their was a Stoke Lodge at Stoke Milbrough, near Ludlow, Shropshire?

Keyboard86

PS quite a bit including map if you google Stoke Lodge, Stoke Milbrough/Milborough?
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 January 15 15:52 GMT (UK) »
not showing details but might be of interest

https://diogel.cyngor.gwynedd.gov.uk/DATRhagorol/RhestrEitem.aspx?iaith=en&rhif_archif=12&rhif_rhiant=109752&rhif_tudalen=2

and also

The Hon. J. M. I. Cross—Miss S. A. Murray.

“... The engagement is announced between John Michael Inigo, youngest son of the late Viscount Cross, of Eccle Broughton-in-Furness, Lancashire, and of Mrs Guy Coldwell, Stoke Lodge, Ludlow, Salop and Sybil Anne, daughter of Major and -Mrs T. P. Douglas Murray, Templewood. Angus. N. ...”

Offline Wendyellen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 January 15 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for you help - very interesting!  In the meantime I had a look at a couple more ideas.  Guy Hope Coldwell was the father of Charles Michael Vincent Coldwell who married my partner's aunt - Kathleen Morgan.  Guy passed away in 1948 and in the 1934 Kelly's Directory it said Stoke Lodge, Stoke St. Milborough was the residence of Guy and also he was the proprietor and he was also the Master of the Fox Hounds.  Also on my tree information I found Guy's probate information and his estate went to his widow Maud Evelyn and his three sons William George, James Cecil and Charles Michael Vincent who was a farmer - quite a large farm I should imagine - what do you think?   

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 January 15 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Stoke lodge can be seen on old maps, it is shown as close to the point on the modern B4364 where th lane to stoke millbrough turns off.
It seems to be a small estate in its own right, not just a lodge to the nearby Stoke court,it is there on the 1880 map and still there on the 1950 revision.

Mike