Author Topic: Coldstream Guards.  (Read 2177 times)

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coldstream Guards.
« on: Thursday 22 January 15 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Can someone point me in the right direction to find information re a friend who joined the Coldstream Guards in 1944 ? His name was Ronald Fell, b.1927. He served in Berlin about 1945; then possibly Israel; and also in Tripoli.  I googled Coldstream Guards and found the relative website, but they require his service number (unknown to me) etc., etc.,
Mr Fell has recently died, and I am endeavouring to find info. for his daughter.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Coldstream Guards.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 January 15 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi, his service records will be held by the ministry of Defence as he served after 1920, his daughter will be able to apply for them, there is some information on the link below.
Hope this helps.

Frank.

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 January 15 13:25 GMT (UK) »
jess5athome, Thanks for that link - similar to one which I found relating to Coldstream Guards RHQ.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 January 15 15:59 GMT (UK) »
You don't need a service number to apply, and there will be a £30 fee (only waived for spouse).

Consent of the immediate next-of-kin is required, and the death certificate.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 January 15 16:18 GMT (UK) »
KGarrad, Thanks for your response.  I have mentioned the fee to his daughter and she thinks it a bit 'steep'.  A similar fee is also required by The Coldstream Guards RHQ.

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 January 15 09:22 GMT (UK) »
You were on the right track to start with - All the Guards service records are kept at Wellington Barracks, ie the RHQ, all other army units are kept by the MoD at Glasgow.

To apply you need proof of death, £30, full name, date of birth AND OR service number (both helps but not compulsory) and finally NoK approval if he passed away under 25 years ago.

Unless my maths is bad I'm not sure the dates marry up, my understanding soldiers under 19 were not allowed to deploy overseas. Either way his service records will reveal all his postings.

Good luck
Andy

Offline ingridp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 January 18 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello! 
I'm new here, trying to figure out the puzzle of the Fell area of my family.  I saw you had a post about Richard Fell as well, but cannot reply to it.  I have a 2 photos of Richard (one in his war uniform and one as a very young boy) and two of Ronald in what looks like it may be a cook's outfit (??) and as maybe a teen with his mother.  I would be very interested in any information you might have on the Fell family.  My great grandmother was Richard's sister, Mary Jane who married William James Parkins and moved to Canada.  In the family bible I was given it does indicate that Richard's birth was in 1891, but I'm thinking that is not the case and he actually has a different father due to James' death in 1891 and the Richard's ages on the census in 1901 and 1911. 
Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope to hear from you!
Ingrid