Author Topic: Trying to fit one maybe two Joshua Wallises into my tree  (Read 1749 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to fit one maybe two Joshua Wallises into my tree
« on: Thursday 22 January 15 13:54 GMT (UK) »
My 2 x great grandmother was Sarah Wallis bapt in Chiton in 1808 to an unmarried Ann Wallis. Ann was the daughter of Joshua Wallis and his second wife Ann Hicks.

I have found baptisms of three children for Joshua and Ann: Ann 1786, Samuel 1795 and Richard 1800, but I have also found a burial for a Joshua Wallis in 1803 which says he was son of Joshua and Ann. There is also a burial for a Joshua Wallis in 1802 which states he was a labourer, therefore and adult so he is likely to be Joshua snr.

So first Joshua of my query is this child - where and when was he baptised, no sign in Chilton at least not on ancestry. Joshua and Ann were married in 1785 - the licence says she was from Brightwalton.

Joshua snr's first wife was called Mary. I believe she was Mary Lawrence and the marriage took place in Cholsey on 10 Oct 1767. I have found baptisms for two children for Joshua and Mary:  Thomas 1769 and Hannah 1773. I believe they had a child called Jane because there is a burial of Jane Wallis on 25 Jan 1776 transcript says daughter of Joshua. Joshua's first wife Mary was buried on 3 Mar 1776.

Then comes my second Joshua.
Chilton records (from Ancestry) have several Wallis children born to a Joshua and Mary, after Mary Lawrence had died and my Joshua was married to Ann Hicks.
Mary 1787, Joshua 1790, Adam 1792 and Moses 1797. Is this an error and the parents should be Joshua and Ann. The dates would fit between the children which are attributed to Joshua and Ann.
All baptisms and burials in Chilton.

If that was the case and the clerk was confusing Ann with first wife Mary then there wouldn't be a surplus Joshua.
Any ideas?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to fit one maybe two Joshua Wallises into my tree
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 January 15 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Now even more confused with my Wallises.

I have found a set of children baptised in Chilton with parents John and Dinah - baptisms range from 1793 to 1814.
A John Wallace married Dinah Dance on 15 Oct 1792 at Brightwalton, this looks like the parents.
Dinah Wallace was buried in Chilton on 15 Dec 1822, age at death gives a birth year of 1768. Assuming year of birth is correct she would be married at 24 and had last child at 46 (assuming baptism shortly after birth) - all sounds plausible.
There is a burial for John in Chilton on 8 July 1838, his age at death would give a birth year of 1759. His residence is given as West Ilsley, but must have had a strong connection to Chilton to be buried there, so I think he is Dinah's widower.
Familysearch has baptism of John Wallis in Chilton son of William and Mary on 28 June 1767, This is much closer to age of Dinah, so I suspect the burial record is either a mistranscription or the informant did not know his age properly.

Now the problem comes - who were his parents?.

There was a William and Mary in Chilton (they were the parents of Joshua senior) but Mary died in 1750. Did William marry another Mary and have another son twenty years after his first family?
According to marriage licence William was born about 1715 and I believe the burial in 1781 is him.
So it is possible for him to have fathered John at age 52. There is a burial of a Mary Wallis widow in 1798. Unfortunately no age on transcript or information on whose widow.  But this could fit with being William's second wife. Can anyone help find a likely marriage, please?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott