Author Topic: Gate - New Galloway area  (Read 3238 times)

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Gate - New Galloway area
« on: Thursday 22 January 15 20:54 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find a place called Gate in the New Galloway area. It could even be in Balmaclellan.  An inscription on a headstone in Kells churchyard states :  'William Shaw in Gate died 15 December 1780 aged 74'  The rest of the family that are mentioned on the stone resided in Balmaclellan parish.

Any ideas?  I have checked the placenames on the Kirkyards website.

Thanks

Tom

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gate - New Galloway area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 January 15 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom

There's a Gateside on this map. It might be 'it'

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74427637#zoom=6&lat=9248&lon=4490&layers=BT

It's between Ken bridge and Balmaclellan itself.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline bigt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 January 15 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget, I noticed that and wondered about it.  In OPR's for 1741 for Kells, there is a mention of 'William Shaw in Gate had a child baptised'  No forename mentioned.

Tom

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 January 15 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget, I noticed that and wondered about it.  In OPR's for 1741 for Kells, there is a mention of 'William Shaw in Gate had a child baptised'  No forename mentioned.

Tom

Could be that the Kells minister was down that end and William Shaw had the child baptised by him.  I found that my ancestors used to get their offspring baptised when the Kirk Session met at the nearest house to them. They lived  in what is now the Galloway Forest Park*. I think I found the actual site when I was last up that way but can't be sure.  Later, they moved to a croft near Kells Church so it was easier.

Gadget

*They lived near Cairn Edward Hill, just off the 'Raiders Road'  :D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***