Author Topic: The Wingates of Stirling Scotland  (Read 7929 times)

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
  • TURNER Jasper Mug c.1780. Friend of Jos Wedgewood
    • View Profile
Re: The Wingates of Stirling Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 February 15 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stirling76 and thanks for your posting.

I've been a lil slow at getting back on here because I have been digesting a heap of data. Your Minutes of the Loyal Stirling Volunteers is a little hard to get my head around of just what they did. I do have a copy of an item in the Caledonian Mercury May 15 1800 with the heading "Loyal Stirling Volunteers" stating that George Wingate was to be Second Lieutenant. Any information would be very handy at this point of time. Other surnames of interest are Fisher & Devonshire.

Here are a few things that have been found.
(doigk) discovered in newspaper advertisements that the owner & builder of the Golden Lion was actually my James Wingate b. est 1732 & d. 1795. He married Janet Fisher 22 Oct 1757 Port of Menteith. "James Wingate Maltman Burges in Stirling and Janet Fisher daughter of John Fisher Portioner ofRowskie in the Parish of the Port. Married" Could somebody tell me if Menteith is in Stirlingshire or Perthshire. ... The Golden Lion website has now changed their details to "James".
There are a few advertisements for the Inn that mention James as the owner.

From the Doig website I now have the records of christenings of 10 children to James & Janet
Margaret WINGATE c: 22 Apr 1759 in Stirling, Scotland
John WINGATE c: 4 Apr 1762 in Stirling, Scotland
Alexander WINGATE c: 23 Jun 1765 in Stirling, Scotland
William WINGATE c: 2 Apr 1767 in Stirling, Scotland
Jean WINGATE c: 5 Nov 1768 in Stirling, Scotland
William WINGATE c: 5 Nov 1770 in Stirling, Scotland
Thomas WINGATE c: 7 Feb 1775 in Stirling, Scotland
George WINGATE c: 28 Mar 1776 in Stirling, Scotland
Janet WINGATE c: 4 Feb 1780 in Stirling, Scotland
Elizabeth WINGATE c: 29 Apr 1782 in Stirling, Scotland

Note that there is a George & a Thomas. I have no record of what happened to any of them apart from my George-b.1776.

In the book Wingate Pasha by Pugh written on the life of Sir Francis Reginald Wingate on P8 it says “the Scottish branch of his family originated in Stirlingshire, probably in the twelfth century. Two centuries before Wingates birth, the family had been minor landowners in the vicinity of Craigengelt and Gargunnock in St Ninian's Parish, Stirlingshire. Wingate's grandfather William was an affluent merchant in the family business at Port Glasgow, to where the Wingates had moved early in the nineteenth century. Wingates uncle the Reverend William Wingate (1908-1899) furthered the family fortunes during the Industrial Revolution until he got religion and disassociated himself from commerce to devote his life to that of an evangelical preacher ….......................”
It appears that he also was from the same line of Wingates.

I also now have several newspaper clippings regarding Marriages & Deaths of Wingates which I haven't yet been able to find relationships for. I am now searching for the parents & siblings of James Wingate in the hope that things should start to fall into place.

Kindest Regards, Rob

Staffordshire: Turner, Emery, Hyde & Markland
Lancashire: Stirrup, Cloweth
London: Fountain,
Devon: Devonshire, Webb
Stirling: Wingate, 
Australia: Fountain, Turner, Solah, Paskins, Brookfield, Cowle, Trondsen

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 February 15 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Margaret 1759 was christened in Logie [Perthshire but on the outskirts of Stirling town] on 20th April I believe, parents father James mother Jenat [sic]. Very possibly this is the same baby born at the grandmothers home [? usual with first babies in Scotland at the time] and 2 days later christened again at Viewfield Associate Session, Stirling, which only shows father James name. [source familysearch]

She has the same birthdate and parents as the mother of the Henry Doig> whose son Henry had a dau  Margaret Wingate Doig, (all born Stirling) who married James Stewart.

Might be worth viewing the actual OPR entry for Logie to confirm.

Ooops scrub that just to add to the confusion there were 2 James Wingates yours as marriage you quote, the other to a Janet WINGATE 14 Aug 1753 Logie [Bridge of Allan area].
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 February 15 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Port of Menteith was in Perthshire.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
  • TURNER Jasper Mug c.1780. Friend of Jos Wedgewood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 March 15 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Can anybody find a link between these two Wingate families in Stirling? Surely they are related somewhere.

Thanks to the good folk here at Roots Chat we have my family line that contains Commander GT Wingate 1776 - 1820 and his father (who built what is now the Golden Lion Hotel/Inn) James Wingate 1732 - 1795. We have his marriage & children as well as his descendants along the GT Wingate line.

Whilst I was searching for Wingates in Stirling I also revealed a Thomas Wingate. The Caledonian Mercury of 1815 reports of the death of a Thomas Wingate as well as his eldest son John Spiers Wingate. In Aug 1804 the Scots Magazine reveals "Thomas Wingate, writer in Stirling, is appointed Keeper of the Regisrty of Sasines). Another entry reveals a son James Thomas Wingate seems to continuing his fathers job.

Thomas Wingate married Caroline Fraser at Stirling Jan 1799

This Thomas Wingate is probably the same as in the Stirlingshire Lieutenancy notice (signed Tho Wingate C.G.M.) in the Caledonian Mercurey 6 Jun 1805.

It's a big ask I know

Kind regards
Rob
Staffordshire: Turner, Emery, Hyde & Markland
Lancashire: Stirrup, Cloweth
London: Fountain,
Devon: Devonshire, Webb
Stirling: Wingate, 
Australia: Fountain, Turner, Solah, Paskins, Brookfield, Cowle, Trondsen