Author Topic: Elizabeth Brennan  (Read 6752 times)

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Brennan
« on: Friday 23 January 15 11:10 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me with a puzzle I have in my literary research.

Elizabeth Brennan was the author of a handful of book in the late 1940s, and a number of novels from Robert Hale 1960s to 1984.

According to an essay in Alexander G Gonzalez 'Irish Women Writers' it is the same Elizabeth Brennan for all the books who was born Clonmel, Tipperary in 1907, married and moved to England, returned to ireland after her husband died and remarried before writing the later books.

But is this correct? For in James Liddy 'The Full Shilling' (2008) there is a brief mention of deceased novelist Elizabeth Brennan of Moyasta, Co. Clare, sister of ex-priest and playwright Victor Power.
And (Patrick) Victor Power was born in Dublin in 1930, son of Patrick and Kathleen (nee Murphy) Power, later moving to the USA where he died in 1988.
I suppose he could have a much older sister, though I am doubtful. Have been unable to find any more information about his family. And it does make me wonder if I am looking for two different Elizabeth Brennans.

Robert Hale tell me that their Elizabeth Brennan seemed to move about, the last address they have for her is in Tullyallen, Co. Louth.

http://irishgraveyards.ie/plot.php?plotno=90&yardid=274&section=New
I found this death of a Elizabeth Brennan in 1993, buried in Tullyallen, but no age or birth on the tombstone. Could this be her, and did she once live in Moyasta.

One bibliographical refernce gives her the dates 1907-1981, a Elizabeth Brennan who married a John W Casey and died in Kilkenny, though I yet to find any mention of that county in the few biographical references to Elizabeth Brennan available.

I will be grateful for your thoughts. Can anyone help me trace the family of Patrick Victor Power? or have any information on Elizabeth Brennan, author.

Many thanks
John

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Brennan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 January 15 15:32 GMT (UK) »
The following is correct based on some searches today, with civil references fyi

Link to details on Elizabeth BRENNAN you are proably aware of
This piece is quite clear in her birth being 1907 in Co. Tipperary and details her works with dates from 1946 up to 1984

In 1946 she would have been 39 years old would Brennan have been her maiden, first married or second married name?!

You could apply for the death cert of the person named on the grave
i.e. Elizabeth Brennan died Oct 02 1993 to establish her age and if she was married etc.
The fact that Robert Hale had the same place as her last address looks promising

Patrick Victor POWER was born 1930 Dublin South Q4 V2 P433 died 1988
was the brother of writer Richard POWER born 1928 Dublin South Q1 V2 P490 died Feb 12 1970 Ravenna, Convent Avenue, Bray, Co. Wicklow;
1987 article in the Dungarvan Leader see page 6: LINK
and possibly another brother was
Louis M G POWER born Dublin South 1930 Q4 V2 P434
(Louis POWER is the name of the person to whom probate was granted on Richard's Will)

Their parents Patrick J POWER and Kathleen M MURPHY married in 1926 Dublin South Q3 V2 P481
leading me to believe that Kathleen BRENNAN was not their sister.
She may have been their aunt.

As you can see in the article, Victor's uncle William POWER m Jane ORPEN in 1947
(it states 1946 but it was in Kilmacthomas 1947 Q4 V4 P264)
Jane was distantly related to William ORPEN seemingly

There are articles on line referring to Victor's teaching career in the US, one of which LINK refers to his aunts writing to him, asking him to come home to Ireland which implies there were some!

There is a tree online with an Elizabeth BRENNAN b1907 d 1981 in Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny married to John William CASEY b. England 1901 d 1979 Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny; both shown as on October 12th
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Moya Henderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 May 18 18:46 BST (UK) »
The writer Elizabeth Brennan was born Elizabeth Doran. She first married O’Hora and then Patrick J Brennan of Ballyharmon, Co Laois (My 1st cousin twice removed).  They married in St Andrew St RC, Dublin 26 Dec 1954. She was known as Eily. They did move around a lot and they are buried in Tullyallen, Co Louth
Of course there may also have been another writer named Elizabeth Brennan.

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 September 19 15:33 BST (UK) »
I now know that, despite some authorities on Irish writers saying the opposite, that the Elizabeth Brennan writing in the 1940s (to 1963) is not the same person as the Elizabeth Brennan writing romances 1950s-1980s.

For the  former writer I have now found this obituary in a 1995 newspaper:
"DEATH OF AUTHORESS AN authoress with New Ross connections has died in Dublin. She was Elizabeth Brennan,  of Abbeyfield, Killester, who was daughter of the late John Brennan, Convent Hill, New Ross.  Her better-known books included 'Out of the Darkness', 'Am I My Brother's Keeper”, The Wind Fairies' and The Wind Fairies Again'. She was familiarly known as Bessie, and her sisters - Maureen, Evelyn and Phyllis were regular visitors to New Ross. She was aunt of Derry Lindsay, co-writer of 'All Kinds of Everything' with which Dana won the Eurovision Contest in 1970. The authoress was cousin of Nancy Bailey, South Street, New Ross"

She died in Dublin 14 August 1995. But despite all the family names I have been unable to find when she was born.

Regarding the later author, I now know she died in Tullyallen, Co. Louth 2 October 1993 from this site:
https://www.irishgraveyards.ie/search.php?area_id=20&yardid=274&lastname=brennan&firstname=&address=&month=&year
Sadly Patrick, her husband, had died in August that year. But like with the earlier author, I have been unable to find her date of birth.
It is not helped by a conflict in records with name given by the lady who is a distant relation of the husband.  According to the marriage registration of the 1954 marriage, Patrick J Brennan married Elizabeth M Dolan - not Doran - or Elizabeth M O'Horan - not O'Hara. Incidentally, no middle initial on her tombstone .
So far the nearest first marriage for the bride I have found is a 1931 one between Elizabeth Dolan and a Patrick Horan.

This was found on https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ which has lots of births of both Elizabeth Brennan, Elizabeth Dolan or Doran. I did find it annoying that their BMD records could not be searched by county, having to check where each registration area was.

But having found so much information, though some is uncertain, it is a shame I cannot identify their dates of birth. Can anyone help with either of these ladies, please.

Thanks
John

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 September 19 18:16 BST (UK) »
There is an Elizabeth Brennan from Dublin 5 buried Glasnevin 1995 aged 82

https://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/results/index.xml

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 September 19 22:55 BST (UK) »
Any idea when Derry Lindsay was born
There is a marriage in 1935 of a Maureen Brennan and John Lindsay.
Her father is John Brennan Civil Servant and she is a minor.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1935/08944/5237411.pdf

A newspaper put his age as 74 in 2016 so born about 1941 so the above marriage is a possible.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 September 19 01:42 BST (UK) »

So far the nearest first marriage for the bride I have found is a 1931 one between Elizabeth Dolan and a Patrick Horan.

This was found on https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ which has lots of births of both Elizabeth Brennan, Elizabeth Dolan or Doran. I did find it annoying that their BMD records could not be searched by county, having to check where each registration area was.

I find Shane Wilson's website useful for identifying registration districts and other places. Select "Registration District Map Browse" from menu. Then select relevant county from the drop-down list.
https://www.swilson.info
Some county boundaries changed in 19th century. Some registration districts cross county boundaries.
Cowban

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 18:16 BST (UK) »
If the author Elizabeth Brennan who died in Dublin 1995 was 92 it seems likely that she could be the Elizabeth Christina Brennan born Clonmel, Tipperary 13 January 1913, father John Brennan, then  a colour Sergeant Major.
She had a sister, Maurine. born Dublin 1916 - could this have become Maureen? But the other sisters from same parents do not match those in the obituary  - Kathleen Mary, Anastasia Margaret and Margaret Eileen.

As to the other Elizabeth Brennan. I believe she was born in Dublin July 1907 as Elizabeth Mary Brennan. Her first hubby confused matters a bit to start with. He was born and married as Patrick Kevin Horan. but his death is registered as O'Horan.

Anyway, gradually getting there.

John

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 22:31 BST (UK) »
If the author Elizabeth Brennan who died in Dublin 1995 was 92 it seems likely that she could be the Elizabeth Christina Brennan born Clonmel, Tipperary 13 January 1913, father John Brennan, then  a colour Sergeant Major.

If she was 92 in 1995 then her approximate year of birth was 1903.
Cowban