Author Topic: Bedfield. Was the family name Frener or Freuer?  (Read 6515 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bedfield. Was the family name Frener or Freuer?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 January 15 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Annette. Marriage of Annette says Frener as in alphabetical order, but I agree with you it must be Freuer!
I have now, with your help looked at Frewers in Bedfield and find Lydia Frewer marrying James Bolton and having 6 children. There seems to be a strong connection between the two families.
I think that the family must have originally been called Frewer, but as is often the case from that period of history when many souls were illiterate, the name on records was spelled phonetically by the clergyman. The name then gets passed as a middle name honouring the maternal side of the family. I have many cases of this on different branches of my tree. I think the mystery is now solved. Thanks so much.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 17:29 GMT (UK) »
That'll be our lot, it's FRUER but often spelled as FREWER.

You will find the former Congregational chapel in Framlingham is now called Fruer House, Samual Fruer was an architect in the town and the patron of the church was John Fruer.

SM ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bedfield, Suffolk & Frewer, Freure, Freuer, Fruer links to Bolton family
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 21:33 BST (UK) »
Annette was quite right.
There were quite a few links with the Fruer et al & the Bolton families.
Some of them went off with the Bolton family and settled in Eramosa & Guelph, Ontario, Canada whilst another lot went to Klamoth Falls, Oregon, United States.

Samuel Bolton married Susanne FREUER at St Nicholas, Bedfield on the 30th November 1847
The marriage was witnessed by William Lord Basford Freuer (brother of the bride) & Emma Bolton (sister of the groom).
This Samuel Bolton was a son of Lewis & Elizabeth Bolton (nee Chenery).
William Chenery was Elizabeth's father, her mother MAY have been Elizabeth Spurling
Susanne was the daughter of William & Sarah Freuer (Chenery)

Offline levismama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 August 15 00:27 BST (UK) »
Interesting thread as i  have ties to the Bedfield Freures.  My 5 th great grandfather was a Benjamin Freure (father John Fruar) who married Elizabeth Pretty or Pritty 1767 Bedfield.. Their son Samuel b 1772, my 4th g grandfather spelled his name Frewer.. He married Sarah or Susannah Tuttle ( Turthill) and their child Samuel Freure b. 1805 married Sarah Oxborrow in 1834 Fressingfield..

My family,  Samuel, 1772, 3rd g grandfather Samuel 1805 and siblings Sarah Jane Frewer b. 1807, Marianne Frewer b. 1811 William Freure b. 1808 and Mary Freure b. 1827-1830 and Samuels  wife Sarah Oxborrow came to Ontario Canada..via New York in 1834..  So the name seems interchangeable .. But my Canadian Freures from Wellandport and St. Catherines Ontario were always spelled FREURE..

Cheers,
Margaret from London, Ontario Canada..

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 August 15 00:49 BST (UK) »
Our Framlingham Fruers link to the Bedfield families. We tended to use the Fruer spelling in later years, however as clerks wrote down what they thought they heard, going back a couple of hundred years and we have both Fruer and Frewer being used.

At least my late father in law, my husband, son and grandson use the Fruer version :-)

SM ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 August 15 11:23 BST (UK) »
Margaret, I am really pleased if this thread has helped. I started it, as it involved a family in the smaller twigs of my tree and SM has been able to help me expand my tree a little in that direction.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.

Offline Dulverton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Freuer & Wright family - Stonham Aspal
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 May 16 11:00 BST (UK) »
Did not Rebbie Freuer Wright's mother (Sarah  Freuer Bolton) die in 1891 and that her father remarried in 1894?
Elizabeth Ray married William Lord Basford Freuer, Worlingworth 1838.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 May 16 12:47 BST (UK) »
Yes Rebbie's mother Sarah did die in 1891 and father George William married Florence Sophia Burt (daughter of Harry Cottingham Burt and Elizabeth Debenham) on 5 Sep 1894 at Barking Church. Elizabeth, a widow ran a private school for young ladies and small boys in Needham Market (for the 'crème de la creme' of the local area). The service was conducted by the Rev. S Maud. vicar of Hockley, Essex, assisted by the Rev. L. Staniforth, of Needham Market.
I'm distantly related to Florence and her 5 children with William rather than Sarah and her 6 children. If you would like to PM me I would love to be able to put more of the other family on my tree. Regards