Author Topic: Devereux family  (Read 11187 times)

Offline Glassmog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Devereux family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 November 16 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to this forum, so picking up an old thread! I have a John Devereux, born Suffolk 1748, married Elizabeth Ranson Aug 1762 in Chevington. Their daughter Elizabeth was born in Nowton, Bury St Edmunds 1767 and marr. Henry Allerton/ Ollerton. They lived in Little Saxham, where the family (with several name variants) remains to this day. The Devereux name seemed important to the family and was passed down the male line for 4 generations. However, I have been unable to trace John or his parents. Can anyone help? The Allertons were poor farming folk, so perhaps the Devereux name had greater associations? (Henry Allerton in fact had an interesting history, as his Gt Gt grandfather was Bartholomew Alleton, who sailed on the Mayflower, with his father, Isaac, one of the "Pilgrims").

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 November 16 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to the forum Glassmog. I'm sure you'll find it interesting and get some kind of answer to your question. My 6x Gt grandfather had Devereux as a forename, but I have not yet found the ancestor with Devereux as the surname. It was common for parents to name a child with the maiden surname of a mother or grandmother in order to preserve the name. My grandfather's brother was called Hilder as was another male cousin, after their grandmother's maiden name.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline Hollyberrytime

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 00:25 GMT (UK) »
I have a Henry Allerton, born in 1757. His parents were Edmond Allerton and Elizabeth Charles, born 1710 in Suffolk.

Offline Glassmog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hollyberrytime. Yes, same family. I'm in fact researching my wife's family, which is Allington, as various name variants seem to have crept in during the "Little Saxham years" of the 18th century. My wife is a direct descendent of Henry, but I think Henry born 1759, and by my records the next child of Edmond and Elisabeth, so I assume Henry (1757) died in infancy. Edmond was a prosperous wheelwright, whose will survives. Henry (1759) was his 12th child, 8th son, and although was born after Edmond's death, is mentioned in his will. Henry and his family seem to have worked out their lives as illiterate farm labourers, and it is therefore tempting to speculate that, despite his father's efforts, the newly born Henry lost out on his inheritance!

Offline Hollyberrytime

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Oh, that is interesting, Glassmog. I have the same info but I have Henry as being born in 1757. My family is from Henry's sister, Susannah. Any info you have about Edmond or his parents would be great, I have got stuck.

Offline Glassmog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 17:11 GMT (UK) »
What is the best way to share information? I'm a little new to this web-based stuff... As I said in an earlier post, I have details back to Edmond's Gt Gt grandfather, Isaac Allerton, who was one of the leaders of the Mayflower expedition and subsequently had a long career in Massachusetts. Isaac is well documented on web sources. His son Bartholomew returned to England, and hence the family here continued. He had two sons, Isaac and John, and it does not seem to be possible to prove which of them was father of Bartholomew's grandson, also Bartholomew, who was Edmond's father. I have the text of Edmond's will, if you hadn't seen it. It is my supposition that Henry "lost out" on his father's inheritance, moving away from the area of his birth (Worlingham), and apparently being poorly educated. I am intrigued that their is no knowledge of the "Mayflower" link on this side of the family - something one might expect to be passed down - and I know from contact with descendents of Susannah and Henry's other siblings that it was passed on in their families. Henry's family is well documented from the parish records of Little Saxham, where he settled, which are published and available online. Let me know if you would like specific details on any of the above. Oh, and in case you didn't already realise, you are a distant cousin of two US presidents, Zachary Taylor (12th) and Roosevelt (32nd), also direct descendents of Isaac!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Now you have both made 3 posts, you can utilise the PM (Personal Message) system?

Click on the document icon, on the left, under neath the users name.

Then either send info to each other, or send your email address ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline huntressgatherer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Joseph Devereux, Schoolmaster & descendants
    • View Profile
Re: Devereux family in East Anglia
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 May 17 18:27 BST (UK) »
The Domesday Book in 1086 recorded the granting of land in East Anglia incl. Norfolk, Suffolk etc.  to several Devereux families recorded as "de Evreux" (of / from Evreux in Normandy, France).
Their descendants include the family  granted land in Hereford and elsewhere; and  in 1550 were the first creation of a Viscount -  Viscount Hereford. I in 1572 their dscendant was ctreated Earl of Essex; which later passed to the  was ; see  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devereux>
DEVEREUX (Lincolnshire, Huntingdonshire, Southwark, Eton, Windsor)
A(Y)LAND, GREENING, TATE (Lambeth & Southwark, Surrey);
SEYMOUR, VIGAR+CLARK (Kent & Sussex);
HALCRO(W) (Orkney & Shetland)

Offline dijaks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 August 17 05:28 BST (UK) »
Devereux Garnham was born in 1780 to a Robert Garnham and Martha Devereux (in Great Barton, Suffolk).  Martha was born around 1750 to Richard and Elizabeth Devereux.  Robert and Martha had seven children that I know of via Family Search.  They were Robert, Deverence, Richard, Devereux, Hereford, Martha and Elizabeth, all born between 1774 and 1790.  (I think Deverence might be a spelling mistake and he may have been named Devereux.  He must have died as a babe as they named another son Devereux a few years later).  This Devereux was later known as Devereux GURNHAM and died in 1863 in Kingston, Surrey, England.  He named a son Devereux, who also named his son Devereux, and so it goes on!  It is interesting that one of the sons was named HEREFORD?  Devereux Garnham or Gurnham's daughter Mary Ann married Sidney Lee in 1845 and died on arrival in Port Adelaide, South Australia, in 1851.  Her daughter Amelia Mary Lee married my great great grandfather David Matthews in 1879 in Ballarat.