Author Topic: Astwood names and St Peters Church  (Read 3888 times)

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Astwood names and St Peters Church
« on: Friday 23 January 15 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I was suprised to learn this week that the church is up for sale. I don't know what impact this has but many people will have ancesters buried in the churchyard, which could become some ones back garden!!

What are peoples thoughts?

Mike

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Astwood names and St Peters Church
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 January 15 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Googling found me the For Sale ad:

Attractive grade II* listed closed church dating from the 12th century with later additions, available for a range of uses subject to planning permission.

https://www.smithsgore.co.uk/Pages/ImageGallery/Vebra_Property_25154981/Brochure/Brochure_25154981_0.pdf says:
St Peter's is situated in a churchyard extending to about
0.8 acres (0.35 ha); there are a number of mature trees round
the churchyard particularly to the west side of the drive
where there are few if any burials; existing burials will have to
be respected and access given to families visiting graves.
Purchasers must make clear whether they want to purchase
the whole churchyard.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 January 15 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Bearing in mind the age of the church I'd strongly suspect the statement about there being few if any burials in one part of the churchyard, I'd bet that if surveyed by Archaeological ground penetrating radar and other methods it would be found to be loaded with burials from perhaps pre parish records times.  Many graves were buried over as time went by due to the demands for spaces.

It's a shame the local community can't buy the church to use for community purposes so that it remains the centre of focus for the place, it has happened elsewhere but perhaps the local community aren't that bothered.

I noticed that parts of the exterior has previously been rendered, most of which has fallen off, that would indicate a maintenance liability to both remove the inappropriate rendering, probably sand/cement, on the lime mortared stonework,  That will be costly plus the copper roofing will need periodic and expensive maintenance - that's if it hasn't been nicked by the metal thieves that look for such.

It would certainly be an interesting project to convert to housing use, I suspect that due to its listing few if any additional windows would be allowed so quite an inward looking home.  I have seen conversions of such places on a number of TV programmes with varying success, the respect for the building and its former use will be a tricky balancing act.

Access to the graves will be a problem, no privacy if a home plus the rights of the buried will more than somewhat restrict the churchyard's useage.

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 January 15 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Its an interesting thought actually. Certainly i am pretty sure my direct ancesters are buried there somewhere but where!!

The oldest readable stones date to 1800's so there are going to be older graves there. It seems likely then that some of the headstones will have been damaged by weather and have long gone. There may also be some burials without a headstone. In parish records, and other evidence online my ancesters where certainly regulars at the church, and involved in its running. A great uncle is immortalized on a plaque on the church wall, after he was killed in 1917.

So yes its sad the church is not going to be a church anymore.

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 October 17 19:12 BST (UK) »
I hope this may be of interest to anyone local to Astwood with ancestors buried there.

Just noticed in the local paper a notice "Former church of St Peter, Astwood" saying the Church Commissioners have prepared a draft scheme providing for St Peter's and its churchyard to be sold for residential use. The draft scheme may be viewed at The Old Swan, Astwood or

https://www.churchofengland.org/clergy-office-holders/pastoralandclosedchurches/consultation/expiry-date-04-december-2017-astwood-st-peter.aspx

A drop-in will be held in the village hall Astwood on 7th November between 3-7pm for those with questions on the draft proposals.

Access to the graves is mentioned in this document:
https://www.churchofengland.org/media/4040439/04122017-AstwoodStPeter.pdf

Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas