Author Topic: George Cotton b 1808 and Sarah Bell b abt 1812, Caneese, Lissan, Magherafelt  (Read 8423 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Cotton b 1808 and Sarah Bell b abt 1812, Caneese, Lissan, Magherafelt
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 January 15 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Cotton***

Elizabeth Cotton (1851?-aft.1916?) m.(9 June 1864 Lissan Church of Ireland) Thomas Henry (d.5 Sept.1892)
        Marriage: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGZ7-SFK
        I would query Elizabeth's age as if born c1851 she would have been only about 13 years old in 1864.
        Letters of Administration (with the Will annexed) of the personal estate of Thomas Henry late of Montober County Tyrone Farmer who died 5 September 1892 at same place were granted at Armagh to Elizabeth Henry of Montober Widow the Residuary Legatee. Will dated 21 Mar.1891 mentions farm Ballinasollus to son George Cotton Henry, farm Killycurragh to wife Elizabeth, daughter Sarah Maria Henry, son Robert James Henry, brother-in-law James Cotton of Caneece.
1.   Eliza Maria Henry (16 Dec.1872) Sarah Maria?
        Birth: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGH9-VDZ
2.   George Cotton Henry
3.   Robert James Henry

Elizabeth Woods (nee Cotton) (address: Ballinasollus, Oritor Cookstown, Co. Tyrone.) Dawson described her as "now an invalid and confined to bed." So her death may not have been far off by May 1916. I do not have a record of it.

Possibly Elizabeth married a Mr. Woods and moved to Co. Tyrone but I wasn't able to find any such marriage. However, there is this likely couple in the 1901 census-
James Woods m. Elizabeth (c1851)
        www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Ballynasollus/Ballynasollus/1730431
        James- www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Ballynasollus/Ballynasollus/860097
        Note: 'adopted' son Thomas George Anderson born Belfast & mother seems to have been Smith so not sure if there was a family connection
1.   Maggie Woods (c1890)- possibly James’ or Elizabeth’s daughter?

More to be added to this...
George Cotton Henry died 1897 in N.Z.- probate to mother Elizabeth (Mrs J) Woods, 62 Rainey St. Belfast: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZ58-8RD
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Cotton b 1808 and Sarah Bell b abt 1812, Caneese, Lissan, Magherafelt
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 January 15 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Once you get a chance to go through all the posts here the next step might be to look through any changes to family holdings for the townlands mentioned in the Valuation Revision Books which run from the printed version of Griffith's Valuation (mid 1800s) until c1930.
http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/val12b.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
  • I want to know MORE…Genealogy is an Addiction!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 June 15 10:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey
I shall go through it.  Sorry, just found your responses.
Much appreciated.

kezd
Driscoll's of Castlehaven and Baltimore, Cork/London/USA.  O'Neill/Neale. Higgins of Westport, Aughaval,  Ireland. Atkinson of Lurgen, Portodown, Ryan and Tynan of Holycross, Tipperary.  O'Rourke of Clonmel. Hollingsworth of Southwark/St Bottolph's, East London.

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 21:12 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the birth record of Robert Cotton, son of George and Sarah (nee Bell) Cotton.  He was born either in 1837 or 1838.  Trying to add a bit to a book for him and his birthdate would help.

Also trying to find out more about the history of the Cottons in Lissan, and it possible George's parents.  He would have been born about 1808.

I will come to Ireland again possibly next year and hope to find where they lived, and any graves.
Driscoll's of Castlehaven and Baltimore, Cork/London/USA.  O'Neill/Neale. Higgins of Westport, Aughaval,  Ireland. Atkinson of Lurgen, Portodown, Ryan and Tynan of Holycross, Tipperary.  O'Rourke of Clonmel. Hollingsworth of Southwark/St Bottolph's, East London.

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 September 15 17:10 BST (UK) »
You may be interested to know that two Cottons descended from George Cotton and Sarah Bell have taken Y-chromosome tests:

http://www.skylinc.net/users/cottondna/family10.htm

The results show that George is related to several other Cotton families in Ireland and also to Cotton families in Cheshire ENG from where the Irish Cottons are likely to have originated.

Gossy

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 September 15 21:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that link.
Yes I was aware of the dna test.  Roger James Cotton is one of my cousins here in New Zealand.  I have done an Ftdna test and uploaded to Gedmatch as well, but not sure if any of my lines are recorded there.
If anyone tunes into this link my test is F233326 and I would love to be told if you match via the Cotton people.